We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with train schedules please

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
reviews: 42
Help with train schedules please

My wife and I are flying in to Narita, arriving May 11th. We have booked our hotels and a Ryokan. May 11 - 15 we are staying near the train station in Shinjuku. Then a Ryokan in Kyoto May 15 - 18, then moving to Osaka May 18 - 24th. On the 24th we have to make our way back to Narita for a 4PM flight home

We plan to purchase the JR Rail 2 week pass, as we plan to do day trips, especially out of Osaka.

I am having trouble figuring out the train schedule.

For comfort sakes I would like to be at Narita around 1PM. Our hotel in Osaka is the Hearton, very close to the station there. Some reading I have been doing suggests Osaka - Shinjuku - Narita using the Narita express for the last leg.... I am trying to understand our options on the hyperdia site.

Help?

Thanks very much

James

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 31
1. Re: Help with train schedules please

You don't want Osaka-Shinjuku-Narita, you want to search Shin-Osaka-Shinagawa (or Tokyo)-Narita.

This means a Hikari station to the Tokyo Area and then the Narita Express from Shinagawa or Tokyo Station to Narita Airport. Shinagawa is recommended as an easier transfer.

Untick nozomi and untick private rail. This assumes you start your JR part of the journey at Shin-Osaka station, but of course you could start anywhere in Osaka.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 30
2. Re: Help with train schedules please

I'm assuming you're staying at the Hearton Nishi Umeda near Osaka Station. If that's the case, take the JR line from Osaka Station to Shin-Osaka and transfer to the Shinkansen Hikari to Shinagawa, then NEX to NRT.

I recommend taking the 9:13 Hikari at Shin-Osaka, arriving at Shinagawa at 12:03, then the 12:20 NEX to NRT, arriving at 13:27. That will be perfect for a 4pm departure.

JR train schedules get revised at the end of March every year, though they never change much. Please recheck the schedule before you leave.

3. Re: Help with train schedules please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 10, 2014