We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

Which Osaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
World
Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

I am re-visiting Osaka in October and going to Kyoto and Nara again too but I want to see some beautiful fall colors. Please suggest some places for me. Thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
1. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

Osaka is surrounded by hills but as there are historically famed places near around Osaka for Autumn foliage, the hills of Osaka Prefecture are not considered to be great. Mt. Yoshino in south of Nara is famed for its 30,000 sakura trees as well as autumn foliage.

www.yoshinoyama-sakura.jp/english/

World
2. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

Great. Mt Yoshino seems easy to get to. Thanks.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
3. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

In the Kansai region Nov (towards the latter half of the month) is a better time for autumn foliage, especially for area around Kyoto.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
reviews: 1
4. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

Oct is a bit too early for you to enjoy autumn colors in most places here. If you can put your shedule back to second/third week of Nov, perhaps you can see what Castle Park usually has to offer:

https://www.google.co.jp/search…

Midosuji Boulevard too is nice to walk on for its gingko trees, particulalrly nearby Honmachi.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
reviews: 38
5. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

October is way too early. Aim for late November. Here is an autumn color report from 2011:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html

World
6. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

Arrgh, this is so disappointing. I am arriving in the last week of October. No chance of autumn colors?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
7. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

I guess you can catch some in Mt Koya:

https://www.google.co.jp/search…

If you're into nature, Nara too has an ultra-gorgeous place for fall colors, the peak time of which is mid-Oct on average: Oodaigahara. But the problem is, you have difficulty accessing it:

http://yaccyann.maxs.jp/oodai/open/16.html

World
8. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

You've whetted my appetite, shot. Koyosan seems like good idea since I can combine with onsen at wakayama. Would I then need to plan for 2 nights at wakayama?

Can you elaborate on the difficulty of getting to Oodaigahara?

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
9. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

From a local's perspective, the city of Wakayama and the nearest possible (non-JR) railroad station to Mt Koya are wide apart; they're not served by the same railroad company, let alone connected by the same railroad tracks. I may be wrong, but I think I've read somewhere there's a bus service between Mt Koya and Wakayama City. So if my memory is right, then you may want to stay overnight in/near that city and then do Mt Koya the next day as part of your day trip while on your way back to Osaka. Yes, you'll feel rushed if doing the both without staying the next night in Mt Koya.

Fun memories I'd once had in Mt Koya got blurred after many years of absence: I have one of my distant relatives still there, yet I can remember, though not as vividly as I want, how I felt when I stayed in the precincts of a huge buddhist temple called Okuno-in. Just to let you know, you’ll have a totally different feel up there if you’re associating with Kyoto’s quaintness.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
10. Re: Best places for autumn colors in Osaka?

I sometimes hit Oodaigahara when I miss the trek in Kamikochi, both being just about the same altitude: 1600meters above sea level approximately. So even in the sweltering summer heat you have elsewhere on low flat lands: (Kyoto’s borders with a sauna btw), you don’t suffer much in either place during the daytime hours. Sorry, am nearly forgetting about the access info:

Tennoji (Osaka) to Yamato-Kamiichi is about 70min on the express/90min on the limited express: Kintetsu Railways, which is non-JR; the one-way fare is 950yens for the express/rapid/local and 1450yens for the limited express.

At Yamato-Kamiichi, you switch to a local bus going to Oodaigahara: 1hr 51min ride and 2000yens one way. There’s only one service a day if on weekdays: for out, 0900 departure and 1051 arrival; for in, 1530 departure, 1721 arrival. During weekends, there’s only one more service added for in and out.

In case you come in late Oct, the colors in Oodaigahara per se will perhaps have gotten over the hill, but the hilly access road along your way will sure afford you with nice ones. The pic in the above link is what you’d get from a cliff in there, called Daijagara, a bit scary place if you’re acrophobic. Maybe no big deal if you aren’t: it’s only a 30meter-long rocky though easy (yet a bit steep) downhill slope to get to the bottom of the chained rim. Compared to the Hotaka Mountains in Northern Japan Alps (accessible from Kamikochi), it’s really no sweat and the reward is pretty big.

From afar a couple of waterfalls are visible on your right-hand side forward amongst taller mountains, set against the blue-sky vistas on a clear day. There’s an info booth at Visitor’s Center, so you can ask for a picture map, btw. On your way from here to another lookout/vantage point facing the Pacific Ocean: Kumano-nada, you can see a horde of wild deer on the grassy slopes too. Yet another one located at the highest place commands a great mountain view, again if on a clear day. Never been lucky to see this myself thus far, yet Mt Fuji (though probably tiny) is visible from here, it is said.

Edited: 4:10 pm, August 18, 2012