We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 29
Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

Hi,

I wonder if the above day trip is doable? I have the rail pass so I can travel by Shinkansen. If I set out early from Kyoto, I figure I can see Himeji by late morning and continue on to Hiroshima and see the main sites before returning to Kyoto at night. I know it will be a long day though. But is it worth the travelling time?

Thanks

Washington
1. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

I have done these both as day trips several times, but never both in the same day! I assume you are going to Hiroshima to see the Peace Park and Museum?

I think you could do Himeji in the morning, buy a bento to eat on the train, and be in Hiroshima for an afternoon at the museum. Himeji to Hiroshima is an easy one hour trip, trains leaving about 3 per hour. However, coming back from Hiroshima, you will have to change trains in Shin-Osaka. It's doable, but do plan ahead with a train schedule.

Or spend a night in Hiroshima? You could go to Miyajima (island) and have a relaxing escape from the busy world for several hours, then take the train back to Kyoto early afternoon. Makes a nice break from a hectic schedule.

Stavanger, Norway
reviews: 105
2. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

Hi

Yes, it will be a long day. My wife and I went to Japan a couple of years back and we did Hiroshima/Kobe in one day and Himeji/Osaka on a different day. I have made a trip report that I can share with you if you are interested. Send me a mail on gardkarlsen@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you :-)

Regards

Gard

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
reviews: 14
3. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

Doable, yes, busy, yes. First, I assume you're not going to do anything in Himeji except the castle; I typically suggest seeing both Engyoji temple and Kokoen while in Himeji, but that's not possible if you're going to Hiroshima. Lets say you get to Himeji by 8:30 and get to the castle when it opens at 9:00; it'll take you at least 2 hours to tour the castle. With walking time you'll be back at the station by 11:30. There's a train to Hiroshima at 11:29 and 12:29; (theres one at 12:01 but it is a slower shinkansen and actually arives 10 minutes after the 12:29 train). So you'll be in Hiroshima at either 12:33 or 1:33. You don't say when you're going; right now the sun sets at around 5:15; in summer it sets around 7:00. So what you have to decide is if you can do what you want to do in Hiroshima (counting walking) in that time frame.

Good luck!

John W.

Singapore
reviews: 29
4. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

Hi, thanks everyone for your comments. Yes, it does look like a long day. In fact, I am leaving next week. I guess I am short of time. In hiroshima, I would like to look at the peace park. Maybe I will add in Osaka instead. Thanks once again.

Toronto
reviews: 1
5. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

It is very doable, as I just did it, but I went to Osaka after Himeji instead.

I left in the early train from Kyoto, arriving Himeji around 1030, spent almost 3 hours in the castle, still have time to walk around the shops near the train station before my train to Osaka at 1600. Then I take the last train from Osaka, which is 2202, back to Kyoto. Although it's a long day, but as you're not rushing, so it doesn't feel as bad. Hope this helps.

Enjoy the trip!

6. Re: Day trip to Himeji and Hiroshima from Kyoto - doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:39 am, August 17, 2009