We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip option my son likes

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas...
reviews: 50
Day Trip option my son likes

Hiroshima 3 hours to see Peace Memorial, Himeji 3 hours to see castle under reconstruction.

-----

-----

Use "green" JR Pass:

Kyoto-Hiroshima (Hikari) (119 minutes), depart Kyoto 8:02, arrive Hiroshima 10:01.

Hiroshima-Himeji (Sakura) (55 minutes), depart Hiroshima 13:58, arrive Himeji 14:53

Himeji-Kyoto (Hikari) (54 minutes), depart Himeji 19:01, arrive Kyoto 19:55

Edited: 8:38 pm, June 21, 2014
8 replies to this topic
Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
1. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

Hi Clay. It depends how many days you have available for day trips, and also how old your son is.

However, there really is no way you can do Hiroshima and Himeji in one day.

On the day trip to Hiroshima, you should plan approx 3hrs for the Peace Park/Museum and general walk around. Then another 3hrs for the ferry/miyajima island.

Other options for day trips from Kyoto are

Mount Koya (absolutely beautiful and traditional)

Himeji Castle

Kanazawa (go to the gardens and also the Ninja Temple is great)

Nara

Okayama, then across the seto ohashi bridge to Shikoku

Much More

Osaka, Japan
reviews: 9
2. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

I wouldn't recommend doing Hiroshima and Himeji in one day.

Either stay in Himeji and enjoy the castle and then go up to Engyoji Temple where "Last Samurai" was shot.

Or stay in Hiroshima.

By the way, there's also a "Rabbit Island" not too far from Hiroshima City that your son might like:

zoomingjapan.com/travel/rabbit-island-japan/

Houston, Texas...
3. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

We are 4 nights in Kyoto July 10-14, and the day trips we have scheduled are: 1. Nara (3/4 day) and 2. Hiroshima (2.5 hrs)/Miyajima (2 hrs). Those are my son (age 14) and my preference. Hiroshima has significance for us.

---------

However, I was told the day trip to Hiroshima/Miyajima may be too aggressive:

---------

Sunday July 13

Kyoto-Hiroshima (Hikari) (119 minutes), depart Kyoto 8:02, arrive Hiroshima 10:01.

Hiroshima-Miyajimaguchi (Sanyo) (26 minutes), depart 13:18, arrive 13:45. Walk 300 meters to ferry. Miyajimaguchi-Miyajima. Ferry to Miyajima, arrive Miyajima about 14:45.

Miyajima- Miyajimaguchi. Depart Miyajima 17:00 to take ferry back to Miyajimaguchi.

Miyajimaguchi-Kyoto, depart 18:34, arrive Kyoto 21:20 [Sanyo to Hiroshima, Sakura to Shin-Osaka, Kodama to Kyoto].

------

I really like the look of Mount Koya but not sure to give up a 3rd day of Kyoto.

Edited: 9:58 pm, June 22, 2014
Coffs Harbour...
4. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

The Hiroshima/Miyajima combo is a great day trip. I have taken groups of 30 schoolkids on that run many times. Although it is a long day, it is definately do-able and give plenty of time at each place of interest.

Nara is also a great 'easy' daytrip.

I think with the timeframe you have (4 days), 2 day trips is enough and then have 2days in Kyoto.

Have a great time

Houston, Texas...
5. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

Thank you for the encouragement. We really did want the Hiroshima/Miyajima day trip to be feasible.

1. The Peace Memorial will be different than adding another shrine/temple to the list. Plus, significance for us.

2. Further, the floating tori seems captivating. Also, kind of interested in understanding more the spiritual significance of the island,. A cursory 2-3 hr jolt on the island might prompt me to read more, and indeed, I have already been reading about Miyajima because of our upcoming day trip there..

-----

3. We don't mind long days. Last summer we spent 9 hrs in Florence -- we did a day trip by train (2 hr ride) to Florence from Rome in the July sun and heat, The day trip was exhausting but enjoyable.

4. Even the train ride (2 hr) (1st class) (not much extra cost) from Rome to Florence (not scenic but comfortable, relaxing, and interesting) was a good experience.

I am thinking we might have a similar train experience Kyoto-Hiroshima with our "green" JR Pass, (Me and my son don't ride trains in the US, though have thought about taking the train from NYC to Philadelphia, or from Seattle to Portland.)

------

For our 4 days in Kyoto, we are now fairly set on two day trips - to Nara and Hiroshima/Miyajima - and then 2 days in Kyoto..

Edited: 10:07 pm, June 23, 2014
Houston, Texas...
6. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

I just notice the comment about the Engyoji Temple in Himeji, I did not know that.

Years ago, when I first watched "The Last Samurai" movie, it gave me a craving to go see and experience a Japanese temple (surrounded with cherry blossoms)..

I went to Japan twice in 1990 but each time those were business-trip layover stops in Tokyo -- each a couple-day layover, and didn't see much. Also, was in the summer. Never have seen the cherry blossoms in Japan.

I will try in the future to go in the Spring for the cherry blossoms, or in the Fall for the foliage, plus just to have cooler weather.

Coffs Harbour...
7. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

Seeing as though you have the rail pass, just play it by ear and you might be able to squeeze a quick trip to Himeji into the itinerary. 1/2 day trip to Himeji is easily doable - just remember most of Japan opens at 10am, so do not plan to be at too many sights prior to that.

Coffs Harbour...
8. Re: Day Trip option my son likes

Also, the Greeen Rail pass is great. We always get that aswell (not that much extra really). THe carriages are always quiet and sometimes nearly empty. The seats are wider and more room - good choice!

Reply to: Day Trip option my son likes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted