We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to Japan April 14

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 6
trip to Japan April 14

We are going to Japan with our son and Taiwanese d-in-law, plus toddler. Currently thinking of flying into Osaka, spending 4 to 5 nights in Kyoto, then train to Tokyo for 7 nights and doing trips from there to Nikko, Kamakura etc. From Kyoto, we will visit Nara and Byodo-in. I also want to go to Hiroshima and Kurashiki if possible. Will fly back to Taiwan from Tokyo.

I made several visits to Japan in the 70s and have some memory of the places we want to see but am uncertain about timings.

Does the forum think that 5 nights in Kyoto is too much? Would 4 be adequate, then a train to Hiroshima, via Kurashiki, one night in H then Shinkansen back to Tokyo. Is there anywhere else we just have to see - I know that Kanazawa is supposed to be lovely too, haven't been there on my previous trips but it does seem very out of the way.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
1. Re: trip to Japan April 14

7 days in Tokyo (Nikko, Kamakura, and perhaps Hakone?) and 5 nights in Kyoto (including day visit to Hiroshima/Kurashiki and probably Nara?) would be a bit unbalanced, as the Kansai Region has a bit more to offer to tourist than areas around Tokyo. Kyoto (Higashiyama and Arashiyama areas) alone can easily fill up the schedule for 5 days, but if you want more of Tokyo then you'd keep it as it is (I would like to recommend 5 days in Tokyo and 7 in Kyoto instead).

Actually, Kanazawa is just two hours by Ltd Exp Thunderbird from Kyoto.

www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html…

I can't suggest it as a day trip destination, but 2-3 nights coupled with Shirakawago and Takayama should be wonderful in April.

It's Takayama in Hida Valley which will take more time (especially if you go by JR Takayama Line which has diesel powered trains running in a river gorge), but which is recommended a visit, together with Shirakawago. You can access Shirakawago then Takayama by bus from Kanazawa.

http://www.kanazawa-tourism.com/

http://www.hida.jp/english/

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5950.html

Edited: 7:53 am, November 20, 2013
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
2. Re: trip to Japan April 14

There isn't anything wrong with your breakdown in general. It's just your personal preference as to how many days you want to spend at each place. Quite a bit depends on your sightseeing speed and your preferred pace although with a toddler in the group, you might not be able to move too quickly.

My minimum proposed days:

Kyoto 3 days with Arashiyama, 4 days if you want to take things easy

Nara 1 day

Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kurashiki 2 days

Osaka 1 day trip but optional if you will be spending a lot of time in Tokyo

Tokyo 3 to 4 days depending on how much you like big cities

Kamakura day trip, but optional if you are spending a lot of time at Kyoto

Hakone day trip or overnight trip

Takayama and Shirakawa-go 2 days, add a 3rd day if you include Kanazawa

The total number of nights exceed your current plan so you might have to pick and choose.

London, United...
reviews: 6
3. Re: trip to Japan April 14

Thank you very much to both of you who have posted helpful comments. Going to go to the Japanese National tourist office today to pick up maps etc.

Please keep helpful suggestions coming!

4. Re: trip to Japan April 14

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2014