We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita to Kyoto

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, California
reviews: 1
Narita to Kyoto

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Japan and want to know what is the easiest way to get from Narita Airport to Kyoto? Are there any bullet trains that can take us direct? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

5 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
1. Re: Narita to Kyoto

NRT - (JR Narita Express) - Shinagawa - (Shinkansen) - Kyoto.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

english.jr-central.co.jp/info/timetable/

reviews: 28
2. Re: Narita to Kyoto

No, there are no direct trains. It's such a long way after a flight, (you can add another 3+ hours of travelling ) so you really should stop in Tokyo for a night.

As Nao is suggesting above, the easiest place to get the Shinkansen bullet train is Shinagawa station in Tokyo. (Tokyo has many big stations, not just one main rail station & Shinagawa is easier to do transfers than the hectic rabbit warren of Tokyo Station.)

From the airport the Narita Express 'NEX' to Shinagawa Station takes about 70 minutes. The fastest shinkansen from Shinagawa to Kyoto takes about 130 minutes.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 67
3. Re: Narita to Kyoto

Depending on your proposed itinerary, a JR pass might be a good value, especially if you plan to return to NRT by train.

Feel free to post it here and we can offer suggestions.

Edited: 7:01 am, November 12, 2013
Orange, California
reviews: 1
4. Re: Narita to Kyoto

Thanks for your help everyone.

My proposed itinerary is I arrive in Narita at 8am and would like to go to Kyoto first for 4 nights, after that I will be returning to Tokyo for 6 nights and flying out of Haneda back home to Los Angeles. From what I've read online seems like the JR pass will be a good purchase. What do you guys think?

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 26
5. Re: Narita to Kyoto

The 7 day pass would pay off with your itinerary. You can make the pass really worth it by adding a few day trips. Nara, Osaka, Hiroshima/Miyajima from Kyoto and Nikko, Kawaguchiko, Hakone from Tokyo are good candidates.

Reply to: Narita to Kyoto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted