We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 30
Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Hello,

I will be in Kyoto in February and am wanting to do a tour/show/dinner/tea ceremony with a maiko/geisha. Although in winter it appears like all these tours are not in operation?

Does anybody have any suggestions as to a company/tea house/ryokan that does them at this time of the year.

I understand that it can be quite expensive, and am more interested in the cheaper dinner and show type of options if possible.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
1. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Gion Corner has shows on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays during winter (closed Dec 29-Jan 3.)

kyoto-gioncorner.com/performance/index.html

This is the only inexpensive option, I'm afraid.

Melbourne
reviews: 22
2. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Shibuyakko, interested to know... Does the Gion Corner include dinner also? :) THanks.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
3. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

No dinner is served. What they offer:

www.kyoto-gioncorner.com/tradition/index.html

Dance, flower arrangement, tea ceremony, Japanese music, and Bunraku (puppet show.)

Melbourne
4. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Ahhh thank you! And as a non-Japanese speaker, will we be able to enjoy the show too? :) Thanks OP for bringing this up!

Melbourne
5. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Another question, on this page: kyoto-gioncorner.com/performance/index.html

There is a reservation area, which includes 3 columns, the last two are group booking (20 or more?) and school kids, I assume. But what is the first one, there is no link and only an image of Japanese text in red...

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
6. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

It says, "General Admission" "No reservations necessary."

Melbourne
7. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

Thank you Shibuyakko, that makes sense now hehehe..

Tokyo Prefecture...
8. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

I see that maybe it is too late for you, but for everyone else. Check out sayuki.net. Sayuki has her own geisha house, and is currently training young geisha. Although she mainly works in Tokyo, it is possible to arrange a meet in Koyto with her and her trainee if you contact her through her website.

Sydney, Australia
9. Re: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour

If you would like to do a tour of Gion, I would highly recommend the GIon Night Walking tour (http://www.waraido.com/walking/gion.html). It is inexpensive (around 1000 yen pp) and very informative. I found it to be one of the highlights of our Japan trip. The guide was friendly, spoke in clear English, and pointed out all of the key Geisha/Maiko sights.

Reply to: Kyoto Geisha/Maiko tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted