We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
reviews: 6
7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

For those of you looking to see what to do in Kyoto for 7 days all alone, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I6Ku0tY9SM

I did Kyoto for a week when I went to Japan - mostly temples, Arashiyama, and lots & lots of food. Can't wait to go back. It was amazing.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
1. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

This will be 3rd time in Japan but first time as a solo traveler. However often I split from my friends because we wanted to see different things and I felt perfectly safe. So yeah Japan is a great country for a solo traveler. Lots to do and see and really nice people who go out of their way ti be helpful even if they don't speak the same language.

I will check out your video when I get home from work. :)

San Francisco
2. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

Yes, I agree. Japan is fantastic. Where in Japan have you been before...any recommendations.

I hope you like the video :)

Petaluma, California
reviews: 69
3. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

I agree. Japan is a fantastic place for solo travelers or with others.

I go with my wife and stay with her and her family for a while and then go out on my own for a week or so and explore new cities and areas each trip on my own.

I don't think traveling solo in Japan is for everyone as some people need more interaction than others. My companion is my camera and I am fine not talking a lot so it is great for me. For those that need conversation it may be more challenging but Japan is safe and people will do their best to help you if you need it.

San Francisco
4. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

Thank you for the input. I definitely agree...some moments were quite tough being alone and having language barriers. However, like you said, having your camera with you helps...there is so much beauty to capture.

I took lots of videos and told a whole story in my video blog.

Which have been your favourite cities/places in Japan and why? Need some suggestions for when I go back sometime.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 1
5. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

You know I keep going back to Tokyo and Kyoto because even though I've been before I love both those cities and I still feel there is so much I haven't seen (especially in Kyoto). Plus I think Japan is great to visit at different times of the year. I've been there early spring, Christmas time, and now going for the autumn. I think each time is different even if you've been to a certain place before.

From Tokyo I took a day trip to Kamakura and Enoshima which I really loved (I haven't been but I'd also love to go to Nikko)

And like I said in another thread what is nice about Kyoto is you are so close to so many other places like Osaka, Nara, and I actually really like Otsu City which has a lot of its own temples/shrines with not quite as many tourists.

I hope this upcoming trip won't be my last so maybe one day I will get even more off the beaten path.

San Francisco
6. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

Thank you. I will definitely add those into my itinerary the next time.

Looking forward to it.

7. Re: 7 Days in Kyoto - What To Do as a Solo Traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 30, 2014