We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 1
Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

Hello, I am planing a day trip in Kyoto visiting Nijo Castle, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji and Ginkakuji and then Gion at sunset. I will be staying at the Capsule Ryokan Kyoto that night. Which is best way (train or bus) to travel between places. Let say my starting point is at the capsule ryokan also. Thanks!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 30
1. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

I think the best way is to take the bus #9 (Nishigamo Shako bound) from Nishi-Honganji Mae to Nijojo Mae, then subway to Keago and walk to Nanzenji. Walk from Nanzenji to Heian Jingu, then take a longish walk along Philosopher's Path to Ginkakuji or take a taxi. From there take the Raku Bus 100 (Kyoto Station bound) at Ginkakuji Mae to Gion.

Timetable at Nishi Honganji Mae:

…kyoto.jp/kotsu/busdia/hyperdia/191041.htm

Ginkakuji Mae:

…kyoto.jp/kotsu/busdia/hyperdia/464022.htm

Phoenix, Arizona
2. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

Thanks for the info Shibuyakko-san. Should I buy a day pass (bus)? What is the best way to get back to the capsule ryokan from Shijo? Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
3. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

The easiest is to take a taxi from Nijo Castle to Heian Shrine. You can then walk to Ginkakuji, then back down the Philosopher's Path to Nanzenji, You could walk to Gion -- it's nice to go through the park by Yasuka Shrine -- or make your way to the Westin-Miyako Hotel near Nanzenji and hop (insignificantly) onto their shuttle to Gion. (It only makes 2 stops. Gion and the station.)

*There are taxis in front of Nanzenji if you're tired of walking.

Just another option. :-)

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
4. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

>>>Should I buy a day pass (bus)? What is the best way to get back to the capsule ryokan from Shijo?<<

I suspect you'd be pretty tired by the end of the day, so why don't you treat yourself for a taxi ride home?The fare should be around 1,300yen. Otherwise, you could take a bus from Gion or take the subway from Shijo (at Shijo-Karasuma Crossing--15 min. walk from Gion) to Kyoto Station and walk back to your ryokan.

In any case, you'll have to take a bus at least 3 times to make the pass pay off.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

Hi Mamajelli ~ Thanks for the recommendation!

Hi Shibuyakko-san, I just remembered the pass was 500 yen, I bought one last year and took the bus twice, I kept it as a souvenir. Maby be I do the same this time. I couldn't remember where did I purchase the bus pass last year though. I remembered it was one of those Bus Navi ticket counter that sells passes and tickets of both bus and subway. I remembered I was inside on my way to the bus terminal after I got off the subway. And the bus terminal has glass doors and we went outside the glass door when the right bus arrived. Was this the bus station at the Kyoto Station or Kitaoji Station? The bus station also has different platforms and I took the 102 instead of 101 to Kinkakuji. Lady at the counter sold me the pass said 102 is faster.

Edited: 8:23 pm, February 16, 2013
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
6. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

That sounds like Kitaoji Bus Terminal to me.

You can usually buy a pass from the bus driver but every once in a while they run out later in a day. You can get one at the Tourist Info Center at Kyoto Station or Kyoto Station Bus Terminal for sure. Some convenience stores and other stores near bus stops have them too.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
7. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

I bought mine at the bus terminal in Kyoto -- in a building in front of the station. It had automatic glass doors on at least two sides. ¥500. The subway entrance was close by.

Have fun!

Phoenix, Arizona
8. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

Thanks mamajelli !! :)

9. Re: Best way to see Nijo, Heian Jingu, Nanzenji & Ginkakuji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 19, 2014