We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
michigan
Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

We will be spending the last 3 nights of March in Kyoto. There will be 5 of us in all, though three are already living in Japan.

I currently have 2 rooms booked at the Kyoto Brighton. The hotel has wonderful reviews, but I am slightly concerned about the location being so far from the sites. The Westin still has availability that can accomodate all of us in 2 rooms. It also seems a bit far, but still within walking distance of the things we want to see. The Granvia cannot accomodate us in 2 rooms, and the Hyatt is out of our price range.

Our main interests are:

Kiyomizu-dera

Maruyama Park

Golden Pavillion

Gion District

Nijo Castle

(I'm sure the list will grow over the next two months)

The Westin is approximately $500 more, which I don't mind paying if it makes getting around that much easier. If anyone can give feedback on comparing these two hotels to help make my decision I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited: 3:13 pm, January 13, 2013
Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
1. Re: Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

Both should be fine. However, Kyoto Brighton is not very close to metro station Imadegawa or Marutamachi (requires about 500 meters+ walk to either station). Westin Miyako is closer to metro station Keage, and it can be walked from Gion and Nanzenji Temple.

Hotel Okura, which is a nice hotel (Japanese executive businessmen's favorite), is near Metro Kyoto Shiyakushomae and Keihan Railway's Sanjo station. It can be walked to Gion, Pontocho, Shinkyogoku Arcade, and Nishiki Market. If the prices are less expensive than Westin Miyako, you might consider it as an option. I think it has been ranked first in four consecutive years as the best hotel in Kyoto by Michelin (make sure you book a non-smoking room. An international hotel booking site [intentionally?] blur on this critical condition to generate cheaper price deal).

Edited: 3:30 pm, January 13, 2013
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 30
2. Re: Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

The Westin Miyako is much better located than the Brighton for sure.

As mentioned, the Okura is good too.

michigan
3. Re: Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

Looks like Hotel Okura is booked solid for our days. Pretty sure I'm going to cancel Brighton and go with Westin. I was really looking forward to Kyoto Brighton, but want to be closer to the sites since we only have a couple of days there. Thanks for your help.

4. Re: Kyoto Brighton or Westin Miyako for 3 nights end of March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 18, 2014