We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation location vs transportation

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
eu
Accommodation location vs transportation

Hi, Would appreciate opinion for below;

If we're stay somewhere near Matsuo station, would it be convenient to travel to sightseeing places like higashiyama area, kinkakuji,nijo castle, Gino area?

What type of passes ( kyoto city bus or one day subway passes )is suitable?

Would love some advise and opinions would be appreciated.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 30
1. Re: Accommodation location vs transportation

Matsuo is near Arashiyama but it's not a convenient spot for the rest of Kyoto. It's out of bus pass zone and there is no subway access. You'll have to take the Hankyu Line trains to get to central Kyoto. It takes ~20 minutes and one transfer.

There is nothing around Matsuo at night. Overall, it's not a good place to base yourself. I recommend changing your accommodation.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
2. Re: Accommodation location vs transportation

Matsuo (松尾) is one station on Hankyu Arashiyama Line from Hankyu Arashiyama, in the western suburb of Kyoto. If you look at Google Map, you'll see that it's not a very convenient location for sightseeing in Kyoto, like Higashiyama, Gion, and Kinkakuji. Although it is not impossible, it is a bit inconvenient (requiring to go to Katsura then changing to Hankyu Kyoto Line to get to Karasuma and Kawaramachi). I would personally stay at another place which might be perhaps underwhelming near Kyoto Station but closer to center.

I'm not sure whether those passes pay off, unless the accommodation issue is solved. Matsuo should be outside the Kyoto City Bus Pass area and it is not connected by Kyoto Metro; the nearest railway is Hankyu Arashiyama Line.

Edited: 10:49 am, January 03, 2013
eu
3. Re: Accommodation location vs transportation

Thank you very much for your advise.

It's seem that the one day passes unable to use in this area as at first we were thinking to stay nearer to one sightseeing spot with a lower price accommodation, then we could use the save money for the transportation.

It's seem it's cant work. By the way, we are 8 school mate friends, we have trying to look for a house for 8, it's hard get.

Pls help on this issue too.

Thank you very much

Washington DC...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Accommodation location vs transportation

How about renting out a house? My family did a long term stay in an apartment (3 people) last summer. Looking for that I noticed a machiya (old style house) that could take up to 6. I don't know if any would take up to eight.

Here's one sight to start you thinking. You might google "long term stay" or something like that to see what else comes up.

www.kyoto-machiya.com/eng/machiyastay.html

5. Re: Accommodation location vs transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 08, 2014