We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on Kyoto

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 1
advice on Kyoto

hi all,

I am working on my kyoto day trips from Osaka and will like to seek advice.

There are 2 stations in Kyoto? Katsuragawa (Kyoto) and Kyoto? I wanted to go to the station where it is near to the Kyoto-eki-mae so I can take a bus. Which station will that be?

Day 1

I am planning to take bus number 9,12,50 and 101 to Nijo Castle.

After which, I will take bus number 12 and 101 to Kinkakuji Temple.

From Kinakakuji Temple, I will take bus number 100 and 205 to Ginkakuji Temple.

From Ginkakuji, how do I go to Kiyomizu by bus? Do I need to transfer bus at Gion?

I am planning to spend the evening at Gion. From Kiyomizu Temple, can I take bus 80, 202, 206 and 207 to Gion?

Is the above itinerary too ambitious? Between Kinkakuji Temple and Ginkakuji Temple, which is a must-see temple? If I can only visit one?

Day 2

I am planning to spend half a day in Arishimaya. I have read online that I will have to take JR line to JR Saga Arishimaya. But I cannot find the station in Hyperdia. Can someone advise me on how to get there?

I have planned half day visiting bamboo groves, tenyuji temple, togetsuyoko bridge and monkey park (in this order). Is half a day sufficient?

From Arashimaya, I want to go to Nara. For Todaiji Temple and deer park. What form of transport should I be taking? I have read that I will need to take a bus to Todaiji Temple if I am at JR Nara station. Can someone advise me what bus number will that be?

Appreciate your kind response.

Cheers,

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
1. Re: advice on Kyoto

Kyoto has more than 2 stations. It is not a small city. Katsuragawa is two stations away by JR from Kyoto Station.

For Nijo Castle from Katsuragawa, I recommend changing once at Kyoto Station to Sagano Line (aka San-in Main Line) local train to Nijo. I think you would benefit by visiting Arashiyama on the same day, by the same JR Sagano Line to Saga-Arashiyama. Nijo Castle, bamboo groves, and Tenryuji as well as Iwatayama Monkey Park can be seen in one day. However, going to Nara from there is a too over-ambitious. For Nara, you would require one separate day. If you intend a free day out in Osaka, you might halve it to spend your time in the morning to afternoon in Nara, then in the late afternoon to night in Osaka (as shopping places don't close early).

The next day, you might go to Kyoto Station, then change to metro to Kitaoji. From Kitaoji, take the bus to Kinkakuji. Taking the bus all the way from Kyoto Station will take a long time because of road congestion- Kyoto is a large city.

From Kinkakuji around 09:00-10:00 before tourists arrive, take the bus to Ginkakuji. After seeing Ginkakuji, you might walk down to Nanzenji and then into Yasaka Shrine, Sanneizaka, and Kiyomizu Temple before closure. You may have lunch or dinner in Gion.

This could be quite acrobatic: Kyoto really isn't a destination for just 2 days. It's the minimum. Nara requires an additional day, which is very worth it.

Edited: 6:04 am, October 23, 2012
Yokohama, Japan
2. Re: advice on Kyoto

The following may cover escapant:

>From Kinakakuji Temple, I will take bus number 100 and 205 to Ginkakuji Temple.

Kinkaku to Ginkaku bus is #102, or #204 (both clockwise circle or anti-clockwise) about 40 min. if you stop by Kitaohji Bus terminal, more M1, #101, #205 , and #204(the number is the same as direct to Ginkaku) buses.

>From Ginkakuji, how do I go to Kiyomizu by bus? Do I need to transfer bus at Gion?

Ginkaku to Koyomidzu on #100 is about 30 min.

>I am planning to spend the evening at Gion. From Kiyomizu Temple, can I take bus 80, 202, 206 and 207 to Gion?

Correct and #100 also. from Kiyomizu-michi to Gion is just one or two stops. You can also walk so easily.

>Is the above itinerary too ambitious? Between Kinkakuji Temple and Ginkakuji Temple, which is a must-see temple? If I can only visit one?

Kin(gold) kaku must be more impressive on golden pavilion. Gin(silver) kaku is not exactly a silver colored building. Both are very popular. So I have not been both last 40 years.

>Arishimaya

the monkey park is located near Hankyu Arashiyama Station. You will walk along this way:

http://goo.gl/maps/Ecm6e

Point A(station) through D(monkey) is about three km even old people can walk within one hour.

Hankyu from Osaka must be faster than JR. However, if you stick to JR with your pass. You will need to make round trip, which will be the long way. It is unfortunate that not much bus line is available in that area:

Kyoto City Bus information to/ from Saga Arashiyama Station: #11 and #93 are available with three buses in every hour to Tenryuuji Temple only weekday. No bus on Saturday and Sunday due to the traffic. #11 and #93 are not going to other Arashiyama area, but only available for Tenryuji Temple access.

Kyoto City Bus to/from Hankyu Arashiyama via Togetsukyo Bridge: #28 is available to Tenryuji Temple with two or three in every hour on every day. However, no bus is available to JR Saga Arashiyama through the bridge.

>JR Nara to Todaiji

A lot of tourists are walking to Todaiji in Nara Park!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298198-i3749-k288…

what if you like to ride on bus;

Banbina bus is available at No.1 bus stop on the East Exit. Get off at N-8.

www.narakotsu.co.jp/news/news_0112.html

Please note that Daibutsu-Den (big buddha building) closes at 4:30 pm from November 1. Hopefully you can make it in one day: From Kyoto and Osaka, Kintetsu is much faster and convenient to Nara.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Japan
reviews: 15
3. Re: advice on Kyoto

Just a suggestion....

I find that the buses in Kyoto can take forever to get somewhere (traffic can be pretty congested) and I would rather spend my time actually visiting a sight, rather than riding the bus all day. So from Kyoto station, I would take the subway to the stop closest to the first destination, then catch a bus or taxi or walk the rest of the way.

On this page, scroll down for some basic information about the Kyoto subway system: city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Singapore
4. Re: advice on Kyoto

Thanks all, for your kind advice.

Cheers,

5. Re: advice on Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 05, 2013