We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to/from Himeji

Which Kyoto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Train to/from Himeji

Will be spending a day at Himeji. A couple of questions

1. what are the chances that the train is fully booked? I am thinking of the Tokaido-San-Yo Line

2. if we book reserved seats, does that mean we have to be on that train? not earlier or later in case it rains or we'd like to spend more time there? I am thinking of the Hikari Line. It will probably save us lunch if we take the first one. Thanks.

Osaka, Japan
reviews: 8
1. Re: Train to/from Himeji

Almost no chance that the Tokaido-San-Yo line between Kyoto & Himeji will be fully booked, so no need to worry at all there, and no need to take the Hikari shinkansen unless you want to pay 2920 yen more to get there 38 min. faster (about 55 vs. 93 minutes). Not worth it, if you ask me. Just take the normal (no surcharges) Special Rapid for 2210 yen rather than the Hikari for 5130 yen.

For the record, if you have reserved train seats and don't take that train, you can still take other trains, but of course will not have seats reserved, so you should sit in the unreserved cars. If it's an earlier train, then you can just switch your reservation for free at any green ticket window at the train station.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
reviews: 14
2. Re: Train to/from Himeji

As OsakaRay said, no chance the train will be booked. And personally, going to Himeji I like the local rapid express as opposed to the shinkansen. The view is pretty nice, especially between Kobe and Himeji. Sit on the left side of the train (as you face the front). The train to Himeji runs down the left side of the tracks so you're right on the coast and have a great view of the Akashi Bridge; you can see it from the Shinkansen but it's not as good as the local JR tracks.

One thing to note: make sure you take the right train; if in doubt, ask someone at the station. Take the rapid express (Shinkaisoku) and not the regular express (Kaisoku); the express becomes a local after Kakogawa station (adding about a half hour to your trip).

John W.

3. Re: Train to/from Himeji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, September 23, 2009