We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

Which Kobe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
reviews: 92
Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

For our meeting at Hotel Portopia in Kobe in early December, it will be far less expensive for us to fly from the US to Tokyo Narita and then connect from there to either KIX or ITM. We have found some information about going from KIX to Kyoto & Kobe, but we have not found as much information for ITM. What's the most direct way to go from ITM to Kobe and Kyoto? And is there much of a difference between these two airports in getting us to Kobe and Kyoto with respect to travel time, convenience (frequency of trains or shuttles), cost, etc.? (We will have a day either before or after the meeting, so we will likely go to Kyoto from Kobe (or vice versa) during this extra day.)

Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
1. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

http://www.okkbus.co.jp/en/index2.html

Osaka, Japan
2. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

bus from Sannomiya in Kobe

www.okkbus.co.jp/en/timetable/itm/t_kob.html

take portliner from Sannomiya station and hop off at shiminhiroba station then very close to the hotel!!

https://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en

Osaka, Japan
3. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

it really depends on where you will go in Kyoto!!

Kobe, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
reviews: 139
4. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

Are your connecting flights to/from KIX at convenient times? In the past couple of years, I have had to fly in & out of Narita in order to get to the USA because there are more flight options than if I use KIX.

Or I go to the USA from KIX and return to Japan thru Narita and Itami. The flights are cheaper when I split the airports like that sometimes for some reason. And leaving from KIX to the USA makes the departure time much later on that last day. My flight in December is at 18:20 from KIX to the USA. If I had chosen ITM, I would have had an early morning flight with a long layover in NRT or I would have had a 14:45 flight. The later departure is better for me.

If you are on a Star Alliance flight with ANA and United then make sure they don't put you on an early morning flight from ITM to NRT and then make you wait there for several hours. They have only a couple ANA flights a day to NRT as opposed to Haneda in Tokyo. There's a flight around 2:45 in the afternoon from ITM to NRT which is best for United Airlines connections.

ITM is closer to Kobe than KIX but both are easily accessed with airport buses to/from Sannomiya. Personally, after all of the flying or before all of the flying, I take taxis no matter the cost but that is me. Once you get to Sannomiya on an airport bus, you could take a taxi to your hotel instead of walking through a busy train station area to find the Port Liner and dealing with all of the escalators on both ends and figuring out how to buy tickets. The airport buses drop you off in an inconvenient place for getting into Sannomiya Station. You have to walk down the street a little way and then go over a pedestrian bridge or through tunnels to cross over a several lane street. From Sannomiya to Port Island by taxi, it should only be about 1,000 yen to 1,200 yen, I think. My friend lives over there and we take taxis to Sannomiya from his place often and that is what we pay.

Minnesota
reviews: 92
5. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

Nao H, yasu666, and keithkobe: Thank you for your quick and very helpful replies.

kobekeith is absolutely right about how much more affordable it is to go through Tokyo. Over the last week or so, a ticket on Delta from MPLS to KIX has gone from about USD 3,000 (which was already too high for us, even with a business seat from Honolulu to KIX!) to USD 5,000! From NRT, we can fly on either ANA or Japan Airlines to go to KIX or ITM in order to reach our meeting in Kobe, hence our question. We try to stick with Skyteam partners if we can, to which neither ANA nor Japan Airlines belongs, so we are free to choose! Thank you again for the links to help us figure out the more convenient way to do so.

Hello yasu666: With about one day on our own before the meeting begins, we are thinking about staying in Kyoto for sightseeing in this historical city. From what we have read, we are thinking about staying in Gion for the atmosphere, or are there good ryokan options in Higashiyama as well? We are not into nightclubs or bars, but I think we would enjoy taking walks in the evening.

Again, thank you!

Osaka, Japan
6. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

from Sannomiya station to shimin hiroba station

http://goo.gl/maps/FgD75

7. Re: Transportation to Kobe from ITM or KIX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 23, 2014