We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

Which Kobe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
reviews: 2
Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

Our family loves eating, especially steak. Do you think we should stop at Kobe just to eat Kobe beef? We are not sure if we should make a special stop or just get it at the other cities we'll be at- Kyoto, Tyoko, Osaka and Hiroshima. What do you think? And do you have a recommeded restaurant?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
1. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

Even if you aren't visiting Kobe, you can squeeze in a Kobe Beef meal in Kobe from either Osaka or Kyoto. JR Shin-Kobe Station is just 15 min. away from Shin-Osaka and 30 min. from Kyoto.

Just a few minutes walk from Shin-Kobe Station is the restaurant called Wakkoqu. It's located on 3/F of Oriental Hotel shopping plaza which is connected with Shin-Kobe Station by a covered pedestrian walkway (on your right as you exit rail station). The restaurant is very popular so reservation is strongly advised. Hotel staff can help and phone ahead for you. The restaurant is opened 11.45-22.00, phone no. is 078-262-2838

http://www.wakkoqu.com

reviews: 19
2. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

If you do go to Kobe, the Disaster Reduction (Earthquake) Museum is worth a visit. Most of the exhibits have English translations, and there is much about the limits of government relief efforts, the importance of community volunteers, and the dislocation felt by seniors who were displaced from traditional neighborhoods and now have to live in "apartments with steel doors."

Osaka, Japan
reviews: 8
3. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

I would say it's not a must-do to go to Kobe just to eat Kobe beef, since it is available elsewhere, particularly Osaka which is known as a food-lover's city. (Don't miss the tako-yaki and okonomiyaki.)

On the other hand, Kobe is very close to Osaka so you could easily catch a train (half-hour) from Umeda or Osaka station for a meal there, especially if you want the "cache" of saying you had Kobe beef IN Kobe!

Since ya'll are Texans it might be nice, but if it doesn't fit your schedule, then elsewhere would work fine.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
reviews: 1
4. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

Available though it is in other parts of this country, it would be awfully nice savoring authentic super-juicy Kobe Beef at a well-known joint in Kobe like:

Steakhouse Kawamura

http://en.bifteck.co.jp/

Steakhouse Kobe Bokujo(the Japanese language only)

http://www.kobe-bokujo.com/

Sandaya and Misono are also good, but they cater mostly to your needs of less-pricey kind of beef called kuroge-wagyu, or literally black-haired domestic beef, the difference of which in taste (Kobe Beef vs Black-Haired) you won't possibly tell...

Um, one thing I've got on my mind, though, is, no, not the exhorbitant price they offer, but the sheer size of the mouth-watering stuff... Very small I should say, compared to what you are probably used to: there's no "one pound steak" listed on their menus; the biggest a la carte is no bigger than half a pound. That's what you have here unless your stomach is a sumo size. (You'd get the impression that the price is as high per gram as that of a brand new car.) One other thing is, the Japanese are a sea food lover even in a steakhouse; they take orders from patrons of abalone/lobster and they are a bit too smelly, you know, when grilled on the same long hot plate.

Lastly, hate to be a busybody, but do beware of pricey bottles of wine. IMHO, sometimes you'd know you could buy a used car for the price they offer in a multi-star restaurant. They insist on letting you know the price beforehand, though. Unless you come around with really deep pockets, beer will be the right way to do. Umm, a Kiren is good, but when it comes to beef, an Asahi Dry goes quite well on your dish. Sorry, I'm talking about beer.

Enjoy your dinner.

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 2
5. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

le bit more (around Yen8,000 for one set lunch). http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/9042.html

hong kong
6. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

I am going to Osaka next weekend and would like to have authentic kobe beef in Osaka. Can you recommend any good restaurants in Osaka that offers Kobe Beef? I am staying around Umeda area

Metro Vancouver
reviews: 1
7. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

Whenever I visit the Kansai (7 times so far) I stay in Kobe. It is a lovely city will lots to see and do,. from 19th century Western houses to a giant Buddha statue, from modern covered shopping pedestrian streets to quaint covered ones that have been there for what look like 40 years or more, from artificial islands linked to the mainland by automated transit (no drivers) to pleasant trails in the mountain, accessed by cable cars...and more...

8. Re: Go to Kobe just for Kobe Beef?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 18, 2010