We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 5
Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

If you visit A-Dome memorial you’ll want to visit the Peace Museum. However be prepared for the coach loads of tourists, often on guided tours. You might find this intrudes on what otherwise should be a sombre and reflective occasion. This is a shame particularly if the visit has been one of your principle reasons for coming to this part of Japan. There would seem to be two ways to avoid this. The first would be to be there as soon as the museum opens in the morning. The other, if it fits in with the rest of your schedule/itinerary, is to make two separate visits timed for an hour before the museum closes. (Entrance is only ¥50 yen) There are two floors: visit the lower floor on the first visit, and the upper floor on the second visit. This is what we did in mid November and there was hardly anyone else there. Dusk is also a great time to see the A dome memorial and the Peace Park. But I think you’ll need two visits at this time of day. IMO there’s too much information to absorb in only an hour.

12 replies to this topic
London
1. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

I thought I'd revive this thread as it was this time last year I visited and the info might be useful to someone. I really liked Hiroshima; small, compact, easy to find your way round; buzzy atmosphere, some great bars and restaurants - am looking forward to going back.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
2. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

This is a useful post. I was at the Museum in May, and it was very crowded.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

We were there last year on November 13 and wish we had known about your suggestion. Unfortunately we didn't arrive from Tokyo until late morning and there were so many kids in the museum we could not even move. We just left and went elsewhere (Peace Park and Dome, Hiroshima Castle, Shukkeien Park and Okonomimura). It gives us a reason to return though!

Petaling Jaya...
reviews: 32
4. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

I visited Peace Park and the Museum last year in the afternoon and there was no crowd. I could looked at the exhibits at a leisurely pace and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I think it's a must visit for anyone visiting Hiroshima

London
5. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

Interesting. That wasn't at all my experience nor it seems other people's - and it would be useful to know if there was another way to avoid the crowds. Can I ask you what month it was and what time in the afternoon?

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 90
6. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

May-June and September-October are the peak season of Shugaku Ryoko (junior/junior high/high school graduation excursion trip). It wouldn't mean that there won't be excursions happening around other months, but probably January-February, March-April won't have them (test season, graduation and entry season).

Weekday would have less school kids for obvious reasons.

I wish teachers would have more authority or sensibility to make kids observe silence, but I also hope that those noisy kids in a group would look back about what they've visited in their lives, and perhaps return one day individually or as a family at later stages of life.

London
7. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

We went in mid November last year. We got there at dusk and the museum was empty. But unfortunately that only gave us about 50 minutes, so we came back the next morning. It was heaving. You had to queue to read the many displays of information. Also the atmosphere is wrong in a crowd. Kids are noisy etc. And some tourists are frankly awful - holding loud conversations with no respect paid to what should be the appropriate sombre mood of the place.

What I don't know is if the crowds might have gone two hours before closing as opposed to just one. If this was the case you could do it all in a single visit.

Incidentally, I'll be visiting the peace museum in Nagasaki in a couple of weeks and I expect that the same thing will be true there. So again I think I'll aim to go again just before closing.

reviews: 19
8. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

I don't think the Nagasaki peace museum gets as crowded as the museum in Hiroshima.

While you're in Nagasaki, I would also recommend the Oka Masaharu Memorial Nagasaki Peace Museum. It's a small museum, not professionally curated, but still worthwhile.

Christchurch, New...
reviews: 14
9. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

We went there last week, on a Tuesday. Arrived at about 2.30, first looked at the dome and park then went into the museum at 3. We spent 2 hours looking and reading just in the main museum (the other part is closed for renovation) and found despite the amount of school groups they moved through pretty quickly and weren't that loud. The atmosphere was pretty quiet which in my opinion was appropriate and respectful. I'm not sure what other times of the day are like but we though this was a good time.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
10. Re: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum

Mike thank you for bumping the post up. I have 3 days in Hiroshima and want to minimize wasted time and have the best experience I can manage. I think your strategy in managing time is a good idea and I will head the advice.

Reply to: Suggestions for avoiding the crowds at the Peace Museum
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted