We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiroshima to Miyajima

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
Hiroshima to Miyajima

Can anyone help with how long it takes to get to Miyajima? Hoping to arrive in Hiroshima around 9am (will be in Jan), spend the better part of the day in Hiroshima seeing Peace Park etc, before heading to Miyajima to stay the night in a Ryoken (well.. hopefully! Not yet booked!)

What time is best to arrive at Miyajima and how long is the travel time to get there? Is this a viable idea?

Thanks guys :)

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 61
1. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

The main ferry terminal on the mainland is Miyajimaguchi (宮島口), which can be reached from JR Hiroshima station either by train (25 minutes) or tram line #2 (70 minutes). From Miyajimaguchi, JR ferries and Matsudai ferries run to Miyajima up to 10 times per hour. The trip takes 10 minutes. If you have a JR pass you can use the JR ferry for free.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 61
2. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

Oh forgot to add that the Tram line #2 passes through the Peace Park so you can use it to go to Miyajimaguchi too.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 26
3. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

Shops and restaurants begin to closeup at 5, and the whole place shuts down (except for a couple local restaurants) by 6.

Hiroshima, Japan
4. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

It takes about 15 minutes from Hiroshima station to A-bomb Dome by street car(line No.2 or 6. 150 yen).

You will spend about 2-3 hours walking around some monuments and the Peace Memorial Museum. There are some Okonomiyaki restaurants and shopping street near the park.

You can get street car in from of the Dome (Genbaku Dome Mae) to Miyajimaguchi (line No.2, 270 yen), which takes about 50 minutes.

Ferry takes you to the island in 10 minutes.

It gets dark around 5 - 6 pm in Jan.

The shrine closes at 5.

Shops and restaurants also close at 5 or 6 pm, but you can enjoy beautiful night view of the shrine and gate.

If you will stay on the island and have time on the island next day, you can have more time in Hiroshima to see Japanese garden or others.

reviews: 1
5. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

I would also try to time your trip to Miyajima when it is high tide. Much much prettier to see the tori gate and Itsukushima Shrine.

Perth, Australia
reviews: 5
6. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

Great, thanks so much everyone for all the tips :) Can't wait to visit!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 21
7. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

You can get around the peace park and A dome in an hour if you needed to, but that would not include the museum. We stayed in Hiroshima as opposed to Miyajima and we took the tram to the station from the A dome then took the JR train and JR Ferry. I'd say the whole journey took an hour plu the tram of maybe 15 mins. I would try and reach Miyajima before sunset, as its quite beautiful in the setting sun. Especially if its high tide and the gate and temple are in the water. We only had 1 night in Hiroshima and I wished Id stayed longer because it was one of my favourite places of the trip. I also wish I'd known to take a few paper cranes and leave them at the Childrens memorial as thousands of other people have already.

reviews: 28
8. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

Yes, so many people rush through Hiroshima and you should allow time for this city, the Museum, Park and the historical Shukkei-en garden.

Trams are right outside the station #2 and #6 go to A Bomb Dome.

The fastest way to Miyajima is by train from Hiroshima Station. But if you are at the A Bomb Dome then the tram #2 goes all the way to the ferry terminal. Signs at the Station are in English & announcements on the tram will be in English too. Put your money in the fare box near the driver when get off ¥150 fare to A Bomb Dome. ¥275 from there to Miyajimaguchi

Staying on Miyajima

Don't worry about shops closing at 5pm on Miyajima if you stay in a ryokan then your dinner will be included. Ryokan like you to arrive before 5pm so they can organise the timing of dinner - they are not like hotels where you can turn up at anytime and order dinner - No. You will usually be offered a choice of timeslots between 5-7.

Miyajima is quiet in the evening and the shrine will be lit up so you can go for a stroll after dinner.

Melbourne,Australia
reviews: 10
9. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

I'd check the tide times and try to plan around this. When we went the gate was still in the water but the shrine was not. I think it would have been more attractive standing in water.

Edited: 7:46 am, September 22, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 33
10. Re: Hiroshima to Miyajima

Does anyone know if there is any place where I can get Softbank internet? And would it be possible to get connection after 6pm? we are planning to go tomorrow but I am gonna have to be working online for a few hours in the afternoon and we want to catch the last boat to go back to Hiroshima.