We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening in Hiroshima

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
200 posts
68 reviews
Evening in Hiroshima

We are arriving by cruise ship after 8pm on July 4,2013. I plan on visiting the peace park and museum the following day, July 5, 2013. Since we must be back on board by 4 pm on the 5th, I do not think I will have time to visit Miyajima island that day. Is it worthwhile to try to get there in the late evening of the 4 th? If not does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do after 8 pm when the ship docks on the 4 th?

Thank you for any input!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
19,564 posts
110 reviews
1. Re: Evening in Hiroshima

I think it is a bit too late. The Itsukushima Shrine in Miyajima will be closed at around 17:00. I think you can take the earliest morning train/tram to Miyajima-guchi and visit the shrine in the morning, as it is open from 06:30. You should have enough time for the Peace Museum and the Park until 2PM or so.

You might stay at a ryokan in Miyajima though, if you like. The short ferry is running until 22:42. However, there is practically nothing open around that time.

If you stay in Hiroshima City (which I recommend over staying in Miyajima), I recommend visiting the Okonomiyaki Village.

Although Hiroshima is a fairly large city, there aren't so many things that you can do after 20:00 or 21:00, other than to have dinner and have some drinks at a bar. There are usual entertainment opportunities that you'd find in any Japanese city, like Izakaya taverns, Karaoke boxes, batting centers, bowling (please google map search). Donki discount store open until 05:00 in the morning: www.donki.com/search/shop_detail.php…

There should be a spa house too somewhere, if you want to relax in a hot large bath and perhaps take a massage.

I imagine that 20:00 would be a bit too late for a baseball game.

Edited: 9:01 am, January 28, 2013
Level Contributor
200 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: Evening in Hiroshima

We are on a cruise ship so your suggestion of a ryokan is nice, but not feasible.i don't know how far the cruise ship is from any of the suggested things to do.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Evening in Hiroshima

Dinner at Okonomiyaki Village followed by a stroll through the downtown area and Peace Park. There are many outdoor monuments you can see at Peace Park at any hour.

4. Re: Evening in Hiroshima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 30, 2014