We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
reviews: 47
Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

I have looked at hyperdia and see that to travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima Station on my JR Pass requires 4 transfers. Once I arrive in Hiroshima after taking Shinkansen Kodama and then Sakura, hyperdia says I must take the JR Kabe line, the Astram line and then the Hiroshima Electric railway to arrive in Hiroshima Station.

Is Hiroshima Station the best exit for a visit to the Peace Museum? I want to leave my luggage at the station, visit the Museum and then return to the station for my luggage and go on to Miyajima. Is Hiroshima Station the best station for going on then to Miyajima? Is there a better way to do this? Thank you!

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 108
11. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Once you arrive to Hiroshima on Sanyo Shinkansen, you can take either JR Sanyo (conventional, ziraisen) line or take a Hiroden tram through Hiroshima city to get to Miyajimaguchi, the ferry port for Miyajima Island. Either way is okay (although for Hiroden tram JR Pass is not applied) and don't require much walking. There is nothing to worry about.

Edited: 11:53 pm, October 26, 2012
reviews: 28
12. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Hiroden trams are just outside Hiroshima station's south entrance. Trams no 2 & 6 will get you to the Atomic Bomb Dome & Peace Park in about 15mins or so (but not covered by your JR Pass) Signs & announcements on board this route are in English. Put ¥150 in the box as you get off the tram (there is a useful note changer machine if you don't have spare coins.)

Coin lockers are at the station + other locations nearer to A Bomb Dome have them such as SHAREO underground shopping centre www.hiroshima-navi.or.jp/en/qa/20127.php

Tram number 2 route continues all the way to the Miyajima-guchi ferry terminal after stopping at the Atomic Bomb Dome (Genbaku Dome stop).

But if you leave your luggage back at the station, after visiting Peace Park you will have to backtrack to the station by tram & pick up your luggage.

To reach Miyajima from Hiroshima station take the JR train that is within the station building to reach Miyajima-guchi station (25mins). Hiroshima is not a huge station & main tourist destinations are well signposted in English.

I advise people not to use Hyperdia unless they have researched their destination first by looking at basic travel guides to get some idea of their destination. Most of the travel guides give you easy to understand access information. It is much easier to to work out where you are going by doing this. Or just buy an old fashioned guidebook

I also suggest people always ask JR staff at the stations once in Japan as they are very helpful & will tell you the best connections to use, whether trains are nearing capacity, whether you have to change platforms for your connection, etc. Humans are a wonderful resource.

Hyperdia whilst a useful tool, can be very miselading & confusing, as the post has well demonstrated. Poor OP could have been sent on some bizarre circuitous Dantean journey! I really do hope anyone reading this post takes note of the weird result hyperdia threw up, as I have repeatedly warned about its use for those unfamiliar with travelling in Japan.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 30
13. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

>>>Can you explain the difference between the Hiroshima station where I will arrive on the Sakura and the one called "Hiroshima Station" (which requires the 3 additional trains)?

"Hiroshima" 広島 = Hiroshima (train) Station

"Hiroshima Station" 広島駅電停 = Hiroshima Station TRAM(Hiroden) stop

Please look at Google maps for the 2 stations.

Hyerperdia says connections are :

Kyoto -(train)- Shin Osaka or another shinkansen station - (train) - Hiroshima - (walk) - Hiroshima Station tram stop

There is nothing wrong with Hyperdia.

Edited: 1:54 am, October 27, 2012
atlanta
reviews: 47
14. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Thank you, Elly M and Bibimbob!

I think my problem using hyperdia is not knowing which station to put in. For ex, my choices were "Hiroshima," "Hiroshima Station," "Hiroshima Airport" and "Hiroshima Port." If I put in "Hiroshima" I have a straight-forward, one-transfer itinerary. "Hiroshima Station," however, requires the 3 more trains. I didn't check the "walk" on hyperdia because I was concerned about dragging luggage through crowed streets. Obviously, a short walk is preferable to 3 more trains!

I have this problem with each of my train trips -- how to figure out which station in Osaka, Tokyo or Hakone to enter into hyperdia.

You may be hearing from me again! Thanks for your help!

15. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 29, 2013