We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
reviews: 37
Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

I have looked at hyperdia and see that to travel from Kyoto to Hiroshima Station on my JR Pass requires 4 transfers. Once I arrive in Hiroshima after taking Shinkansen Kodama and then Sakura, hyperdia says I must take the JR Kabe line, the Astram line and then the Hiroshima Electric railway to arrive in Hiroshima Station.

Is Hiroshima Station the best exit for a visit to the Peace Museum? I want to leave my luggage at the station, visit the Museum and then return to the station for my luggage and go on to Miyajima. Is Hiroshima Station the best station for going on then to Miyajima? Is there a better way to do this? Thank you!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
1. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

No it does not require 4 transfers. Only 1 transfer at Shin-Osaka, Shin-Kobe or Himeiji , using only Shinkansen and JR pass.

Edited: 4:25 pm, October 26, 2012
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
2. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

One change between Kyoto and Hiroshima, at Shin-Osaka most likely. One local train from Hiroshima to Miyajimaguchi, 5-10 minutes walk down the street to the pier (you can see the pier as soon as you walk out of the station) then get the JR ferry. Simple! There is one busy road to cross, but there is a pedestrian walkway under the road, with lifts for those who need them

Oakland, California
3. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

I've noticed with Hyperdia that while it's an invaluable resource, it doesn't do a great job of handling train time differences. For instance, if there's a direct route between 2 points at 8:00am, and you put in 8:15am as the time, it may not tell you about that direct route you just missed, and instead will show you the next trip which could be way more complicated. I think they miss the fact that many people would gladly change the time of their trip in order to have more sensible travel.

I've found it helpful to play with the departure times to get different results. Also, click on the link that says SearchDetails, and uncheck the Nozomi train since you can't use it with a JRP anyway, and change the route outputs from 5 to 10 for more results.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku
reviews: 26
4. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

From Kyoto to Hiroshima: The following Hikari trains go directly to Hiroshima: 7:20, 8:02 and 8:20. After that, the Hikari trains are available at :15 and :48 of every hour. The :15 train terminates at Shin-Osaka and :48 train terminates at Okayama. You're going to transfer to the Sakura Shinkansen to Hiroshima at whichever station you end up with. Personally, I'd take the Sakura at Shin-Osaka since this train is much newer and nicer than the Hikari.

From Hiroshima Station to the Peach Museum, take the tram. From the museum to Miyajima, you can either go back to Hiroshima Station and take the JR Sanin Line to Miyajima-guchi then the ferry or take the tram to Miyajima-guchi then the ferry.

On the way back, take the JR Line to Hiroshima Station:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3404.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
5. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

To someone like me (Japanese native with local knowledge,) some routes given by Hyperdia don't make sense at all. So if you think something is a miss, ask a question here and get a clarification.

atlanta
6. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Thank you, Shibuyakko!

I thought it made no sense to take more trains once I arrived at the JR station in Hiroshima! Your advice makes much more sense!

atlanta
7. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Thanks for the tips -- I will play with times!

atlanta
8. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

Thank you, Bibimbob.

Can you explain the difference between the Hiroshima station where I will arrive on the Sakura and the one called "Hiroshima Station" (which requires the 3 additional trains)?

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Destination Expert
for Poland
reviews: 42
9. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

difference between the Hiroshima station where I will arrive on the Sakura and the one called "Hiroshima Station" .... 5 minutes' walk apparently ... I suspect this is simply the walk between the shinkansen platforms and the local trains' platforms - they're in a different part of the same big building. So, in effect, you probably make that walk in reverse to get from the shinkansen to the JRLocal train to Miyajimaguchi.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
10. Re: Kyoto to Hiroshima to Miyajima"

>>>Can you explain the difference between the Hiroshima station where I will arrive on the Sakura and the one called "Hiroshima Station" (which requires the 3 additional trains)?<<

There is no such "Hiroshima Station" which requires any train ride from JR Hiroshima Station. The only other "Hiroshima Station" is on the Hinoden tram line which is located right in front of JR Hiroshima Station South Exit.

You either put a wrong destination station name or it's a total screw up on Hyperdia's part.