We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in hiroshima

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
winnipeg
reviews: 13
5 days in hiroshima

We are travelling to Japan with a group and have to spend 5 days in Hiroshima while the group attends a conference at the end of October. We are not going to the conference but need to be there before going on to Oita with the group. i would welcome suggestions on how to fill the time. We have booked a Comfort Inn but are open to suggestions for a better idea...but not too expensive. We would like to go to Mirayami????? where the Tori gate is, but it sounds like there are no inexpensive rooms to be had for an overnight there. Are there organized tours we could sign up for in Hiroshima and perhaps to some nearby places.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
1. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

>> it sounds like there are no inexpensive rooms to be had for an overnight there

On the island, true. Stay on the mainland side near the ferry pier and it's much cheaper. Last ferry is around 10 pm. All the shops close at 6. No more than five restaurants are open after 6 so there isn't really a need to stay on the island overnight to be close to the action.

It looks like you are budget conscious so I don't know why you are want organized tours as they are quite expensive.

Edited: 10:35 pm, June 08, 2012
Kanazawa, Japan
reviews: 3
2. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

There are some inexpensive options on the island. You could check these for starting points and try googling "Miyajima budget accommodation" or similar searches.

Organized tours are more expensive e than going on your own.

Kanazawa, Japan
reviews: 3
3. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

Forgot link. http://www.miyajima-wch.jp/en/hotels.html

Nagoya, Japan
reviews: 40
4. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

viking2009,

Here are some suggestions of sightseeing based in Hiroshima.

…hiroshima.jp/foreign/…tourguide_e.pdf

…hiroshima.jp/foreign/english/index.html

(1) Miyajima

visit-miyajima-japan.com/flash/…welcome.html

(2) Cycling the bridges (Shimanami Kaido cycling).

http://www.oideya.gr.jp/shimanami_cycling/

(3) 'Little Kyoto' Takehara City historical street (district).

www.takeharakankou.jp/guide/see/street/

(4) Setouchi island excursion

…hiroshima.jp/foreign/…shima_meguri.html

And many more. You might study these sites.

Enjoy Japan!

reviews: 28
5. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

I would recommend a day trip to Miyajima (but if you were willing to spend extra ¥ to stay overnight it's very worthwhile. The shrine is beautifully lit in the evening.

Please remember when staying in a Japanese style inn 'Ryokan', the price includes an elaborate multi-course dinner and breakfast - so factor this in when looking at room prices.

Staying in a Japanese ryokan at least once should be on top of your list. It's one of the main reasons to travel to Japan.

Just remember when staying in western-style business hotels these are just functional, small rooms with narrow double beds, not Queen or King size (unless you upgrade in standard to somewhere nicer such as the Granvia) At business hotels always opt for twin beds if you are traveling with your partner.

Also Japanese love bean filled pillows - this comes as a rude shock to tourists going by the hotel reviews, but you often get these pillows instead of western fluffy ones.

I hope you've read the Tripadvisor reviews of your hotel.

Next:

Things to see & do in Hiroshima

Peace Park & Museum, Shukkei-en Japanese garden, several art museums - the Museum of Contemporary Art is particularly good, shopping arcade & department stores, cafes, tram rides, eat oysters, okonomiyaki, locally brewed sake, watch a Carp baseball game.

Daytrips near Hiroshima:

Kurashiki quaint historic port town, well geared up for tourists, with excellent art gallery and good dining options for all budgets.

Iwakuni: picturesque historical area near Kintai-kyo Bridge well worth visiting for a day outing.

Sekkitei Japanese ryokan with lovely garden & onsen overlooks the sea, has lunch plans or afternoon tea options (you don't have to stay overnight) including use of onsen.

www.gambo-ad.com/english/hotel/index.php…

You might try Hiroshima Greeters Volunteer guides, this may be a good option for you

http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~hgs/5901.html

facebook.com/pages/…271477992892430

reviews: 19
6. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

You're unlikely to find a better deal than the Comfort Hotel. I've been to Hiroshima three times and plan to go back later this year. You can get to Miyajima by train to Miyajima-guchi and then a ferry ride; it will make a good day excursion.

Of course, you'll want to spend a half-day or more at Peace Memorial Park, including the Peace Memorial Museum and the other memorials.

The Frommer guide will tell you how to get to Setoda and the Kosanji Temple--it's a worthwhile day excursion and no bicycle needed. See frommers.com/destinations/…2935010029.html

I enjoyed the Hiroshima City Museum of Contemorary Art. There are sometimes exhibits at the former Bank of Japan Building, a few blocks north of your hotel.

The Shukkei-en Garden and the adjacent Prefectural Art Museum are worthwhile.

If you already have a JR rail pass, you can take the train to Kyoto for a day excursion at no charge--otherwise it's an expensive trip.

I would skip the Hiroshima Castle.

reviews: 19
7. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

Comfort Hotels in Japan have their own custom-made pillows which are not symmetrical, maybe a bit hard, but no beans. So the pillow should be ok. This is not the hotel to pick if you want brand new furniture, but the rooms are clean, there are plenty of choices for breakfast, and the staff is great. I was there when the whole neighborhood had a power outage and the staff apologized profusely, although the hotel was definitely not at fault.

Auckland Region...
reviews: 214
8. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

Iwakuni would be a good day trip. If you haven't a rail pass, travel by local JR line to Iwakuni (about 1 hour) and catch the bus that runs between Iwakuni Station and Shin-Iwakuni Station. Bus takes 20 minutes. Kintai bridge stop is next to the bridge and about midway between the two stations. Total return fare would be 1860 yen.

www.japan-guide.com/e/e6175.html

You can check train times on Hyperdia www.hyperdia.com/en/

You have to pay to cross the Kintai Bridge but well worth it. When buying bridge ticket you can also buy a joint ticket that includes the cable car to the top of the mountain for visiting the castle. great view from there.

Cheers.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
9. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

>> Please remember when staying in a Japanese style inn 'Ryokan', the price includes an elaborate multi-course dinner and breakfast

I stayed on the island at a ryokan and opted for a plan without dinner for 7000 per person.

Hiroshima, Japan
10. Re: 5 days in hiroshima

I would definitely put a visit to Mitaki Temple on your list, it is quite near the city center but absolutely lovely.

gethiroshima.com/museums-attractions/…

You may also like to check out the many tours offered by Hiroshima Optional Tours group http://www.hiroshimatours.info/

Hiroshima is a great city and you should have very good weather in October. Should be a great 5 days!

Edited: 12:49 pm, June 09, 2012