We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking for input from non-history buffs

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska City...
reviews: 54
Asking for input from non-history buffs

My boyfriend and I have one week for leisure travel in May and have an itinerary to visit Kyoto, Nara, and Hiroshima. We then travel to Tokyo, where he will be at a conference for a week and I have the luxury of more sight-seeing! We are working in a day trip to Nikko before his meetings begin.

In evaluating cost/benefit, the round trip cost of transportation and a day tour to Hiroshima is quite expensive. From the reviews I've read, it appears people spend a couple of hours there and find it solemn and informative. But, is it worth it for a day trip from Kyoto? I recognize the historical importance, but would like unbiased input as to whether or not it is a "must." Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Japan
reviews: 15
11. Re: Asking for input from non-history buffs

I always encourage any traveler in Japan to visit Hiroshima. Yes, it is important to understand the devastation brought on by the bombing; but an even more important reason is to experience this city whose message to the world is Peace. Peace and the end of nuclear proliferation.

I have never felt a sense of "guilt" in the museum or the park, and I have visited both more than 15 times, each time with groups of teachers and students. For me it is an emotional experience, every time, as I watch others come to understand what happened there. But I don't think we need to feel guilty. We need to understand and take action, each in our own way.

Nagasaki is also deeply moving. My main reason for choosing Hiroshima is that it is a very long trip getting to Nagasaki. It's easier to work it into the schedule if I'm staying on Kyushu, but a very long day trip from elsewhere.

Kanazawa, Japan
reviews: 23
12. Re: Asking for input from non-history buffs

Well, I have dismantled my personal stockpile of nuclear weapons, and will not buy any more, even if Walmart has a sale....

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 103
13. Re: Asking for input from non-history buffs

Hiroshima is a fun city, with old trams and Okonomiyaki village. Oysters are good here; you might try fried oysters (kakifry) in worcester sauce. Miyajima near Horoshima has a beautiful shrine. The Peace Park and the Museum is quite an interesting visit, regardless of your personal opinions about nuclear weapons and modern history. Perhaps Nagasaki has more to see besides the bomb related attractions, but it's far from central parts of Japan. Most people who have visited Hiroshima seems to have enjoyed the stay.

Edited: 6:16 am, March 19, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
reviews: 73
14. Re: Asking for input from non-history buffs

What interests you besides visiting the peace park and museums there? You can always spend the morning there then head to Miyajima for the afternoon followed by the sunset then head back after dinner. OR stop in Himeji on the way to Hiro. BUT as one poster said, if you don't have a JR rail pass it could be an expensive day trip therefore I'd just find other off the beaten things to see closer to Kyoto area.

15. Re: Asking for input from non-history buffs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 20, 2013