We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan trip '09 !!!

Which Hiroshima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston
Japan trip '09 !!!

I'm excited to say I will be visiting Japan for the first time Aug. 11th - 21st. I have a few questions about my itenerary and transport though. I'd like to see more than Tokyo.

More info

We'll be staying at the Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku the entire time

I have a 7 day JR rail pass

I'm a very fast paced traveller but I'm worried about time constraints. Here's what I wanna know. . .

Hiroshima day trip by train from Tokyo, possible?

What is the best (cheapest) way to the 5th station on Mt. Fuji for an overnight/sunrise climb?

Has anyone been to Kyoto during Obon? Will I be able to get on a train? Is everything closed?

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 2
1. Re: Japan trip '09 !!!

Are you committed to staying at the Sunroute for the whole trip? You would get more out of your rail pass and trip if you could move around for part of your holiday.

>>Hiroshima day trip by train from Tokyo, possible?<<

Yes, it is possible, but it will take you 5:20 hours each way, giving you hardly any time there and a long day on the train. If you took the 6.40am train from Shinjuku, via Shinagawa and Shin-Osaka, you would arrive at midday. You could depart Hiroshima on the 4.15pm train to arrive back at Shinjuku at 9.30pm. It's not how I would choose to travel, but if it suits you, then yes, it is possible.

If you're not committed to the Sunroute for the whole trip, you could take off to Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima or other cities of interest to you. By staying in the cities you wish to visit, you will get more time to see them rather than trying to do daytrips from Tokyo.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
reviews: 14
2. Re: Japan trip '09 !!!

Hiroshima - possible, but very difficult; I suggest Kyoto instead. I'd also suggest doing an overnight stay there, for full effect, if possible. Arrive one morning and leave the next evening. If you can go for the "Daimonji Gozan Okuribi (Daimonji Bonfire)" on 8/16 you won't be disappointed; you'll be in a crowd, but it's quite a spectacle.

I don't know about Fuji; Sorry!

Trains - make reservations the day you arrive if possible; the trains can be incredibly busy during that time. I've done the trip from Tokyo to Kyoto standing up on the shinkansen and it was quite miserable.

Some good links:

jnto.go.jp/eng/…08

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2286.html

John W.

Houston
3. Re: Japan trip '09 !!!

Thanks, I definately wanna see Obon but I was trying not to spend too much. The idea of standing on the shinkansen for 2.5 hrs freaks me out.

Does anyone know if a lot of stuff will be closed around Aug. 11 - 21?

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
reviews: 14
4. Re: Japan trip '09 !!!

>>Thanks, I definately wanna see Obon but I was trying not to spend too much. The idea of standing on the shinkansen for 2.5 hrs freaks me out.<<

www.japan-guide.com has good information on Obon (busiest days, etc.); I'd look that up. As long as you have a reservation you're fine. My advice is use Japan-Guide to learn the best times to travel, then make your reservations as soon as you can to avoid the crowds. Note that the Nozomi shinkansen isn't valid with the JR Pass, so make sure you reserve the right train.

John W.

5. Re: Japan trip '09 !!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 02, 2010