We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Onsen

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
reviews: 28
Private Onsen

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a private onsen in the Sapporo region? We plan to have a few days in Sapporo itself, but then are looking to travel a little way out of the city to the onsen.

Sapporo, Japan
reviews: 47
1. Re: Private Onsen

Do you mean a hotel with a private hot spring bath in the room?

I don't quite understand the question.

Hong Kong
2. Re: Private Onsen

Well I am really shy. So my friend told me to ask for a private onsen. I think she meant a pool where it is just you and not heaps of people But I am not sure either to be honest. That is why I am on the forum because I am clueless and need help! Your help!

Hong Kong
3. Re: Private Onsen

Hi Nessie, yes I just asked my friend for clarification. She said there are some places that have a private, open air hot bath in the guest room and that is what she had in mind for me.

Can you recommend anywhere?

Sapporo, Japan
4. Re: Private Onsen

There are rooms with private baths at the Yumoto Niseko Prince Hotel, in Niseko. The hot spring baths are on the balcony, facing the mountain. I've stayed here, and the bath is great. The buffet was okay. You can watch TV from the bath. Here's the English page:

http://hirafutei.info/en/

Also one in Hakodate. I don't know the name.

Also, in Japanese:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+27467

answers.yahoo.com/question/…

I don't know of private hot spring baths in Sapporo. If you go late there is usually no-one in the onsen. Have fun!

Hong Kong
5. Re: Private Onsen

Hello Nessie. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I'll take a look right now :)

Much appreciated :)

Final question...if I were to do the odd day tour from Sapporo, whom can you recommend with good English speaking guides?

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
reviews: 34
6. Re: Private Onsen

Hey there Shy Bug!

Another idea for an onsen - you can do it just for a day visit. Somewhere like Jozankei - 1 hour bus ride from sapporo. Go to the tourist office at sapporo stayion - they have info on Jozankei Village Onsens, and they could telephone ahead and make a reservation - I recommend the Furukawa Hotel - new builsding but inside design is old style Japan and you can rent a private room hot spring for hour or 90 mins...very nice...

there are other hotels like this too. Recently more foreign visitors to japan are shy....and hotels are offering the private room option.

But why not TRY an onsen with other people - it really isn't embarrassing!!! If you and your friend are the same gender...you can be together and chat quietly..and your bathmates will probably be old ladies...mums and kids...or old guys and young guys doing driving holidays with their mates...

go on...try!!

amanda

Hong Kong
7. Re: Private Onsen

Hi Amanda. I am an Amanda as well :)

Thanks for your day trip suggestion. I really like the traditional Japanese style rooms so your hotel choice sounds like a good one. Many thanks.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
reviews: 34
8. Re: Private Onsen

Have a look at Japanican (Japan I Can) website and this link

www.japanican.com/hotels/ShisetsuDetail.aspx…

There is even a movie if your computer will take it - shows you all round the hotel! Some of what you see is only for the expensive room plans - the beautiful Japanese old world restaurant for example - but you can get the atmosphere..

I've never stayed here the night, but wish I could...I've been round there daytime with the manager and was impressed.

They also have a Furukawa Hotel in Otaru near the canal.

Hong Kong
9. Re: Private Onsen

The movie sounds good!

Sapporo, Japan
10. Re: Private Onsen

If you have a movie of the baths, Amanda...

;)