We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangzhou trip

Which Hangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Gold Coast Qld
reviews: 65
Hangzhou trip

We have recently returned from China and on arrival stayed for 3 nights in Hangzhou! What a delight.... We stayed at the Sofitel which was in a great location apart from the badly needed refurb...but I shall push on from there.It was central to most areas..the lake, the Heritage Shopping Precinct just behind and many restaurants!

I must say I was abit apprehensive whenever we were first planning this first trip into China with some of the comments I was getting that just the 2 places Hangzhou and Shanghai would be too long for a 11 day visit, but on the contrary. I could have quite easily have spent more time in Hangzhou its so beatifull. Most of the time we were there the was alot of Haze beyond the lake surrounding the hills, I suppose due to the Humidity and heat so I think it would be breathtaking on a clear day. The West Lake Water show was fantastic!! such a hilight on this trip.One word of advise though make sure you make arrangements for return trip otherwise forget it. Our concierge told us to make our way to the shangrila Hotel(have a coffee) and then get their concierge to get a taxi for you, but, we somehow missed the hotel and tried to hail a taxi about a dozen times without any luck, it took us 2 hours to walk back to Sofitel but what a pleasant walk around the lake!We took the electric car(like a golf buggy) around part of the lake and walked the resttaking in all the sites.

It was lovely to see so many people enjoying themselves in the park with their musical instruments and singing and dancing.

We shall definately make it back here another time!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 177
1. Re: Hangzhou trip

Glad you enjoyed it hazel.

Albon

Orange
2. Re: Hangzhou trip

Hi Hazel, what month did you visit Hangzhou? What the haze more a fog thing or pollution? I am planning to go there sometime this year. How do you find getting around to popular tourist spots from Sofitel? Did you travel most by cab or buses/ public transport? Do you think the east side (of the Lake) better location to stay in when it comes to food and shoppping and site seeing as opposed to North or South of the Lake?

Gold Coast Qld
3. Re: Hangzhou trip

We visited Sofitel in June, I think haze more due to lake/humidity etc . There is an electric train like oversized golf buggy goes around the lake to various drop off points. There is also Bicycle Stations where you can hire bikes then drop off at any other bike station. I would say the area between Sofitel and along to the Hyatt is best areas to stay for easy access to everywhere, particularly if you want to walk around at night time restaurant/cocktails etc.

I would say there would have been at the most a couple of dozen westerners whilst we were there! We felt like fil stars as all the young children wanted their photos taken with us!! There is definitely a language barrier, not too many within the area speak English other than staff in Hotel, so we basically went most places within walking distance.

It's absolutely beautiful though!

Beijing, China
4. Re: Hangzhou trip

If you rent a bike riding two hours, you could have taken a round trip along the West Lake. That would be more wonderful.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5. Re: Hangzhou trip

Yes, i totally agree with you! Hangzhou is really amazing!

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
6. Re: Hangzhou trip

Hangzhou is one of my favourite places in China. I love the lake and hiking in the hills outside the city. The tea museum makes for an interesting visit.

Melbourne, Australia
7. Re: Hangzhou trip

Well Hazel and Hubby,

You are now ready for your next China trip!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Kind regards

Albon

Gold Coast Qld
8. Re: Hangzhou trip

Thanks! Albon....its on the list again for the future...Europe this time.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Hangzhou trip

if you want any help just call me.

Hangzhou, China
10. Re: Hangzhou trip

So glad to see more and more people enjoy the trips to Hangzhou !

Hazel, u said that u felt that films stars cos lots of children wanted to take photos with u, LOL, yes, there r not so many foreigners in this city, most of the children only see the westners on TV, so they thinks it's great fun to photo with foreigners and on the other hand, they r trying to practise their English.

Hope u will have great fun during yr next trip to this paradise city !