We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First class or second class?

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 124
First class or second class?

We are visiting Luoyang for a day and would like to try the high speed train that leaves at 7.20am. We are big group of 10 and wants to know if there is a difference between 1st class and 2nd class seats on the train. I understand it is only a short journey but some in our group wants to go on the 1st class and some on the 2nd. Can anyone please share their views on this. Appreciate your help.

7 replies to this topic
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 45
1. Re: First class or second class?

First class has 2 seats in a row, 2+2, 2nd class has 3 seats +2, 3+2. In my personal experience, 1st class is a lot nicer than 2nd class, but that is a personal opinion. here are some pictures of the seats: http://www.seat61.com/China.htm#What are Chinese trains like

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
2. Re: First class or second class?

Hello:

Just same exact like you take fist class and second class of the plane ( no space, free drink).

hope this can help

xianhistorytourguide

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
3. Re: First class or second class?

The comparison is nowhere near airplanes. 2nd class is similar as economy, while 1st class has more room all around, more comfort and some privacy, that is about it, nothing like 1st or business class on airplanes. We think it is well worth the small extra money.

But if you have a bigger group, usually the group tend to bend to the will of those who do not wish to pay more for the sake of harmony, there is no option to pull the 2nd class to 1st class, that is just how a group of friends do.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
4. Re: First class or second class?

I am not sure how many trains macbcmini took but there is definitely more space on second class than in economy on a plane. Leg room is similar to business class on a plane. I have a photo here of second class with my review (click on the visitor photo to enlarge it): tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294212-d3…

But obviously first class is better than 2nd class.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
5. Re: First class or second class?

The first train isn't until 7:42am. You don't have to all sit together.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
6. Re: First class or second class?

Not that many times on Chinese trains, maybe just couple dozen times in 20 years, but varies kinds of trains. 2nd class is tighter than 1st class but more room than airplanes. My comment about comparison was related to Bryan's remark about 1st class on airplane, nothing like that.

I once was the president of an alumni, we had a cruise reunion of about 120 classmates and families, we decided everybody will stay in the cheap rooms, so that we were all equal. We do not know the financial conditions of the classmates, we did not want anyone to feel in anyway intimated or to let money to come into the picture, nobody is richer or more successful than anyone else, no show-off and no one felt the need to impress anybody.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 124
7. Re: First class or second class?

Thank you all for sharing. Its only 1 1/2 hours train ride so I guess 2nd class will do for short journey. I have posted the same question on Beijing forum as well as if anyone could help. Its hard with big group can't please everyone!

Reply to: First class or second class?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted