We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Hi!

We would like to go from Pingyao to Xi'an in early August. Unfortunately agencies keep telling us that there are no train-tickets available anymore. Has anyone made the experience doing this journey by bus? According to lonely planet there are a couple of buses running this way, but they are supposed to be very unreliable ... Thank you in advance!

London, United...
reviews: 38
1. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Yes, you can take the bus at Pingyao Bus Station to Xian and its terminal is Sanfuwan Bus Station in Xian. But the bus fare is more expensive than that of train.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
2. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Let your tour agent book Taiyuan-Xian of train no. 2671, still a lot of hard sleeper available, i just checked the system. With this ticket, you are allowed boarding at Pingyao Train Station. Hard sleeper is far more comfortable than bus even if such bus really exists, also the price of hard sleeper is comparable to that of bus. As far as i know, Bus for Taiyuan from Xian leaving from the bus station next to Xian Railway Station will make a stop at Pingyao. But, in reverse, whether they will stop at Pingyao to pick up you may depend on if still any seat unsold. Usually people will have phone number of the bus owner first and then call them to reserve a seat.

Re the Sanfuwan bus station, OMG, i would never use any bus invovled with it. Your experience will be a nightmare there. You will meet chaos you have never experienced.

beijing
reviews: 5
3. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

I wouldn't bus this route unless planning to make a stopover for sightseeing enroute (i.e. Hancheng). Either do as suggested above: get a train ticket Taiyuan-Xi'an and board in Pingyao, or get up to Taiyuan airport and fly to Xi'an nonstop (often very cheap).

4. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Thanks for your replies. I would, however, still like to know why you can't recommend the bus-trip? Is it only for the bus-station in Xi'an our are there other reasons?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
5. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Thief, dirty sheet and mixed stink, smoking, unreliable driver, waiting for your bus at unfamiliar remote highway side, etc. Are those risks reasonable enough?

Edited: 11:37 am, July 16, 2013
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
6. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Also, dropping you at unknown street side in Xian still distant to the station, too many reasons if you want to know the inside. When you have lived in China for 40 years and travelled with bus from time to time, you will know why every body in China don't take bus as long as their is a train option.

beijing
reviews: 5
7. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

A night/sleeper bus is just not safe, particularly road safety and risk of accident. There's also the stuff mentioned by #5. I don't think Pingyao to Xi'an has express daytime bus, just local buses that stop a lot and are pretty slow, and possibly only as far as Linfen where you could change for another southbound bus. It's just more of a hassle on this route. If you're just trying to get from Pingyao to Xi'an without wanting to stop somewhere off-the-beaten-path in the middle, then do either the train or plane options mentioned above as your first and second choices, with day bus(es) reserved for desperation only.

8. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Wow, this sounds terrible, thanks for your hints!!!

I got my information from the following website: lonelyplanet.com/china/…getting-there-away

According to that there seem to be buses which can do the journey at day-time within for hours. Would you say that this can't be true and would those be the terrible buses you mentioned? Thanks in advance for your help!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 9
9. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

I believe LP is outdated.

In 2011.12, the Pingyao long haul bus station (new building) locates at around 700m from the Ancient Wall’s north gate or at the east of 1.6KM from the railway station.

I don’t have the bus schedule on Pingyao- Xian. However, there are 3 buses on Xian- Pingyao. The schedules are 07:00, 09:30 and 10:30. Please check and confirm with your Agent.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
10. Re: Pingyao to Xi'an by bus

Even if there is bus starting from Pingyao operates, this bus won't really be a legit one. People in China tend to avoid this kind of bus. Because for example, if accident happens, the owner can afford so much indemnity to any damage caused? But you will have much more security going with legit bus.

I wonder why not train? which is far more comfortable with similar cost? Don't wait, otherwise not a single berth left.