We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Neuenhof...
bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

if bargaining for taxi fare, is it better to bargain in chinese than english?

17 replies to this topic
Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
1. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

Hello:

the average price from the airport to your hotel around 120-150rmbn no matter which lauggage you will use since more and more overseas can speak Chinese in those years. That would not surprise driver a lot.

hope this can help

xianhistorytourguide

Xi'an
2. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

Yes the rate from airport to Mercure about 120 --150yuan

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
3. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

My taxi from the airport used the meter but if you bargain in China it is always better to do so in mandarin. Then I used another taxi from the airport to the same hotel a few weeks later. He proposed a flat rate that was cheaper than what I had paid with the meter. No bargaining was required obviously.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 24
4. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

We got Mercure to organise a cab for us from Mercure to the Airport and it was a flat fee of 150 RMB.

By the way, our cabbie who was taking us to the hotel the night before could not find it at all! So he dropped us off about half a mile away and we had to walk around using google maps to find it. This in spite of having everything written in chinese. Was a total pain!

Spoke to the hotel guys and they said that i should either say Renmin Square (as that's very well known) or show the Sofitel address.

Cheers!

Neuenhof...
5. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

many thanx, Bryan, for the advice. So speaking Mandarin is no big deal anymore, haha, fine, fine. Does it take more than 2 hours to get into the hotel, I mean with rush hour mid day or so, how many kilometers is it from Xian airport to Xian Mercure?

And do you also know about Beijing Airport to Beijing Novotel, the cost and the time required? One should always wait in line at the Airport, there is a clear sign for arriving tourists where the taxi line is?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
6. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

No use to use Chinese. 120 is no way. Expect 200. No one will use meter there. All ways advised to take shuttle bus to Bell Tower then taxi.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
7. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

If no much jam you can get your hotel in 1 hr.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
8. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

Which Novotel in Beijing? There are a few.

@Orientalred - I would not say that no taxi will use meter. They did use the meter last month for me and again for my friend two weeks ago. I took a taxi one other time and he started the meter then propsed 130 which I accepted.

Edited: 9:29 pm, May 22, 2013
9. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:50 am, May 23, 2013

Melbourne
reviews: 2
10. Re: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure

I arrived at the airport today (Saturday) and was immediately approached by several touts with black cars wanting 200rmb. I kept saying 150rmb to the Sofitel as advised by the hotel. Even the guard at the taxi rank said it would be 200rmb. After much arguing I took the last Green and yellow cab in te line and asked him to turn on the meter. It took 45 minutes and cost 140rmb. My advice - dont take anything that's not Green and yellow and simply ask for the meter.

Reply to: bargaining for taxi fare from Xian Airport to Xian Mercure
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted