We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

Hi

Im going to Han zhong in the middle of july for 3 weeks. Ive already been 2years ago and recieved different vaccines though i went in febuary the last time and this time im going in the summer?

I've been to my gp and shes kind of puzzled.

She's told me i only need the hepatitis A Booster vaccine as i recieved the full one 2years ago, im up to date for tetanus.

She mentioned the Japanese Encephalitis vaccine and she said its up to me whether or not i get it as it would cost maybe £150 as there are 2 doses needed.

Does anyone know if the japanese Encephalitis vaccine is necessary for han zhong?

Also she mentioned tick-borne Encephalitis but im more concerned over the japanese one and rabies but im not going to be in contact with animals that i know of or camps etc.

Kunming, China
reviews: 401
1. Re: Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

Can't give you medical advice, but here's an article about JE. You can decide if your risk is high after reading more about it. Hanzhong is a prefecture-level city with a population of about 4 million people. Not exactly a rural area.

immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/japanese-encep…

Blueys Beach...
reviews: 181
2. Re: Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

You may be better off going to a travel doctor rather than a GP. Do you have them in the UK?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 157
3. Re: Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

The CDC reports that Shaanxi is one of the provinces with higher rates of JE in China but the answer is most likely 'no', as most guidelines for JE vaccines suggest that it is best for people spending more than 4 weeks in a rural area, whereas you are planning to spend only 3 weeks in a city.

It is not really a question of whether or not you need it, it is a question of risk verses benefit--the disease is very serious and often fatal, but not very common, and so it is not recommended if you are not spending more than a month in a rural area where the disease occurs. In the end, it is up to you and a doctor to decide what is best for you based on what you are doing, your tolerance for risk, and the cost and potential side-effects of the vaccine.

Note that this is a mosquito-born infection, so one way to avoid it is to avoid being bitten.

4. Re: Vaccines for han zhong, shaanxii province?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 14, 2014