We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
reviews: 17
Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

If I take my family of 5 on a day trip to Luoyang for a visit to the Longmen Caves and Shaolin Temples, what is the ballpark cost for a tour guide & van to pick us up from the Longmen station => Longmen caves => Shaolin Temples => Longmen station? Is 1350 RMB reasonable? Is this day trip doable or too rushed?

Also, we'll be staying at Citadine Central, what's the best way to get to the Xi'an train station for the morning high speed train to Luoyang? I'm assuming it's the same for return to Citadine at about 10 pm at night?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Xi'an
1. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Dear friend As usual visit Longmen Grottos and Shaolin Temple from Luoyang City is very rush. But you Start from Xi'an(citadines)--Fast Train Station---Luoyang Station---Grottos---Shaolin---Luoyang----Xi'an I think is too rushed.The price 1350yuan from Longmen Station ---Grottos---Shaolin---Longmen Station is reasonable.Sounds good. Thanks beiping w

Xi'an
2. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Dear friend As usual visit Longmen Grottos and Shaolin Temple from Luoyang City is very rush. But you Start from Xi'an(citadines)--Fast Train Station---Luoyang Station---Grottos---Shaolin---Luoyang----Xi'an I think Day tour is too rushed.The price 1350yuan from Longmen Station ---Grottos---Shaolin---Longmen Station is reasonable.Sounds good. I went there many times with my foreign guests.Sometimes take fast train,some times drive to there.Just Saw Yi River westside grootos and Shaolin Main eara .Came back at midnight.So I suggest you Should arrange taxis well in Xi'an and luoyang .Thanks beiping w

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
3. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

You would need to go Xian North station. This is about half an hour on the subway from the Bell Tower. I'd advise you to have your train tickets booked beforehand so to be on the safe side I'd suggest leaving your hotel an hour and a half before your train departs. Overall, this means about three hours to Luoyang. The earliest you'd be there is about 9:15am. Obviously, this would be a long day out but it is possible. There are a couple of trains back around 8pm, again you should have them pre-booked. I don't know about driver costs.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
4. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Hello:

You are family 5 people to spend 1350rmb for the day trip to the Luoyang is reasonable price. Becasue there are many taxi driver waitting outside the Longmen grottos get ready to overcharge you by anytime. You pay to the driver and guide, that can avoid those troubles caused by those people.

You can use the subway from the Bell tower to the north station of high speed train about 20 more minutes ride. I remember that there is train leave for Luoyang at 8:00a.m.

The taxi ( 120-150rmb) or shuttle bus are all good ways you can use to tranfer you to the ciditine central at 10:00p.m.for the airport.

Hope this can help

xianhistorytourguide

London, United...
reviews: 38
5. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

1350RMB is enough for 5 to have a day trip. You can take trains which take you about four hours. When arriving in Luoyang, you'd better hire a taxi and guide because the taxi outside the railway station alway overcharge.

You can take subway from Bell tower to the north station of hihg speed train. The train leaves for Luoyang at 8:00. Because it is a little tight, you'd better arrange everything beforehand.

Xi'an, China
6. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

It is doable to take a day trip for Longmen Grottos and Shaolin Temple from Xian. Perhaps it is a long day for you. ^_^

You may take subway from Zhonglou (Bell Tower) to Beikezhan (Xian North), about 30 minutes on the subway. Plus the time spent from hotel to subway station, I would suggest you start from the hotel 90 minutes ahead of the train departure time.

Recommended Trains:

1. Xian North Train Station to Longmen Station

G654, 8:50-10:34

2. Longmen Station to Xian North Train Station

G841, 19:51-21:36

G train ticket costs 174.5RMB/person

You can still take subway back to the downtown or prearrange a van for your family. Taxi is also fine, but you need 2 taxies for 5 people.

Longmen Grottos and Shaolin Temple are in two different cities, at least 1.5 hours drive. So the price of 1350RMB for English tour guide and driver service is reasonable.

Tour guide & operator

Jane Yang ^_^

California
reviews: 17
7. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Thanks all! In the interest of time, we'll take taxis between the train station and Citadine Central. Since we're planning to do this trip on a Sunday, I'm guessing the traffic should be light at 7-8 AM. Pls let me know if subway/shuttle will be quicker.

Also, what is the estimated cost for taxi from Xi'an train station to Citadine Central? Just want to make sure we get a fair price. Thanks!

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
8. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

Hello:

Frankly tell you the truth, subway is 100% quicker than the taxi since the your hotel is located at the city center.

That will cost you 35-40 rmb for you to reach your hotel from the train station if you use the taxi.

xianhistorytourguide

Edited: 7:23 pm, May 08, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 167
9. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

subway is 3rmb per person each way.You will have to stand part of the way.If the taxi does not have airconditioning this is a much more comfortable(temperature wise) option.Subway exits at train station.

Boston...
reviews: 167
10. Re: Day Trip to Longmen & Shaolin

You should check out pictures and videos of Dunhuang (caves)Maijishan grottoes and Yungang Grottoes(Datong)these 3 are in much better condition then Longmen.

Longmen does have the incredible main square area ,but most of the caves have been vandalized or damaged.Still worth a trip for the pictures you get in the square.The other 3 sites are in much better condition.Datong is probably the easiest to get to .Short flight from Beijing,or 6 hour train.