We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kanchanaburi...
reviews: 24
Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

After Beijing I have in total 7 days before I leave China. Xian and Chengdu are the other two destinations I have selected. Xian for the terracotta and Chengdu for the Pandas. Question - how many days should I spend in each of the place? I guess 2 days will be taken from 7 for travelling - one day from Beijing to Xian and one day from Xian to Chengdu.

Chengdu, China
1. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

Taking overnight sleeper train from Beijing to Xi'an can help you save one day.As there are many world class natural wonders around Chengdu.You may spend 3 days in Xi'an and 4 days in Chengdu.But not exactly stay in the city for a whole week.

If you have loose budget,add Jiuzhai Valley National Park between Xi'an and Chengdu by flight.That park is considered as No.1 scenic spot in China,and is also reputed as the Yosemite's sister park in China as well.

Anyway,it is up to you.As both of these two cities are popular destinations for foreign travellers.

Edited: 6:03 am, March 09, 2013
Kanchanaburi...
2. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

Jiuzhai Valley National Park looks very good. Any idea what is the flight cost from Xian to this place? Also, is May a good time to visit?

Chengdu, China
3. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

May is a good time to visit.I did the same trip last May,and the whole park is full of greenery and bright flowers.That impressed me a lot.

You can check the price between Xi'an and Jiuzhaigou on www.ctrip.com

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
4. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

Hello:

You need spend about 2 full days to finish most important sites in xian, like the terra-cotta warriors museum, the banpo village museum, city wall, the local Muslim quarter, the big wind goose pagoda and shann xi history Museum without hurry.

Enjoy you stay in

xianhistorytourguide

Kanchanaburi...
5. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

Hi wanderchina, what is the airport for Juizhaigou? I cannot find it from the ctrip site.

Chengdu, China
6. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

The full name of that airport is Jiuzhaigou Huanglong Airport,and the flights between Xi'an and Jiuzhaigou are seasonal flights.During the peak season,there are 3 more flights each day.

ctrip doesn't show the flights details between those two places,but I found such information in its competitor website.That's MU2367 Xi'an0730/Jiuzhaigou0835 MU2377 Xi'an 0755/Jiuzhaigou0900.The real carrier is China Eastern Airlines. And it is roughly CNY800 for single trip.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

That’s my preliminary itinerary:

Day 1. Beijing to Xi’an via sleeper train: Z19 Beijing western station 20:43pm------xi’an station7:58am

Day 2. Shanxi history museum—Dayan Pagoda—Tomb of Emperor Jingdi (Hanyangling) — Xi'an Mosque --Ming city wall—Beiyuanmen Street --Qujiangchi site Park--Dayan pagoda northern square at 9pm

Day. 3 Terra- cotta worries—Huaqing hot springs—drum and bell tower—Tang Paradise or Daming Palace Site Park

Day. 4 fly to jiuzhaigou from xi’an, huanglong shan tour for 5 hrs, evening to jiuzhaigou, may see a show called Zhangmi

Day 5 jiuzhaigou

Day 6 jiuzhaigou

Day 7 fly to Chengdu— Wuhou Memorial Temple — Jinli Ancient Street — Du Fu Cottage — Chengdu Renmin Park -- Qingyang Palace (Green Ram Temple) --Kuangzai ancient street—may see a night show Shu Feng Ya Yun Sichuan Opera at 8pm

Day 8 Chengdu Research Base Of Giant Panda Breeding – Wenshu Yuan Monastery -Tianfu square— Wangjianglou Park --Chunxilu-- pedestrian street at night

Day 9 fly back to home

We are going to be the above places this May too, let me know if you have some better destinations or ideas, or we might have a same time frame, that’s be great!

Edited: 4:43 pm, March 09, 2013
xi an
reviews: 6
8. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

you need 2 days in xi an at least .one day for terra cotta tour .another day for city tour .if you also like mountain climing .then hua shan mountain is your choice .

beijing
reviews: 5
9. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

#7 you have an overall good plan here. The exact daily schedule within Xi'an and Chengdu cities may change around a bit (except keep Pandas first thing in the morning). But overall, OK and workable. Now you just need to execute it.

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Should I spend more days in Xian or Chengdu

I know the schedule is too busy, special both the first days at Xi'an and Chengdu are overwhelmed.

Question: which one is better between Tang Paradise and Daming Palace Site Park? I do not think I have enough time to tour either of them in fact.

Please let me know what kind of changes I should make to more doable. We am going to be at Xi'an on Sunday, and Shanxi history museum closed on Mondays, so we have to be there on Sunday only.

Thanks