We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xian

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Xian

Ok, I have read zillions of reviews on Xian. It seems that most TA's say 1-2 days are all that is needed, even the private guides. I don't know if that comment is for people that are totally rushed for time and want to see the most in what little time they have or it is based on a slow tour of everything. We have two or three days and don't want to be wilthout something to do on the third day if we have already been to the TA warriors and all the sites in the city. What do you all think? We are actually quite fast paced and don't like to sit too ideal at least during the day.

22 replies to this topic
Magog, Canada
reviews: 455
1. Re: Xian

2 days is average speed. Make a list of what you plan to see and you'll have an idea.

Xi'an,Shannxi...
2. Re: Xian

Hi,most of the travellers will spend two days in Xi'an for the tour to the Terra-cotta Warriors and the city tour,of course,it depends on what you are keen to do,in my opinion,two days will be an ideal duration,if you have more than two days ,you can enjoy some other sites.For example,you can do the hiking tour on Hua montain,you can even do the tour to the panda base located in Lou Guantai ,which is a very famous Taoist temple.There are so much to see in Xi'an.

Allenguo

Carmel, Indiana
reviews: 4
3. Re: Xian

We were in Xi'an for two days and would have preferred more time. A lot depends on whether you hire a guide or not. We did not hire a guide. We took the bus to the Terracotta Warriors, it was dirt cheap and VERY easy. See the reviews on Tripadvisor for detailed instructions. We hired a guide at the warrior site for a few bucks and he was great. When youget back to Xi'an you can go to the Muslim streets for a cheap and interesting dinner. The next day we took the metro to the north train station and went to Mount Huashan on the high speed train. This was very easy but a time consuming way of getting there. You must go early to get the 8 AM train or you will not have enough time on the mountain. Huashan is awesome! We had to leave the next day but I wish we had time to visit the museum and some other sites. Tip of the day; stay in the Han Tang House hostel. They have private rooms upstairs that are as good as a nice hotel and only charge about $30 US. Another bonus is that the hostel is within easy walking distance of the Muslim streets and the Bell/Drum tower.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
4. Re: Xian

Hello:

One day and two days are good time for you to enjoy this city depend on how much you still left for rest part of china, but the some sites you can't miss in your china tour, the great mosque and shannxi history museums are two must sites in this city, plus terra-cotta warriors museum, one day tour can cover them without hurry.

Emjoy you stay in

xianhistorytourguide

xi an
reviews: 6
5. Re: Xian

if you want to stay here for longer time .i suggest that you can go to qian ling tomb.you can see the countryside view and also the tomb of tang dynasty.

also see cave dewlling there .ride a horse to the mountain top is nice too

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
6. Re: Xian

It is at least 4 days for me. Only 2 days has been suggested in this forum because people find out most foreign visitors have not very big interest in this city ignoring the worriors. Lot of people show not much interest in China's classic history where Xian rules. People only know Beijing which however can't represent the true ancient China at all.

Pg
reviews: 40
7. Re: Xian

Guys,

I would like to spend a week or more to Xian.

Is there any other near by cities that I can include ?

I am doing DIY and would like to spend my time leisurely .

Any suggestion ?

Please help.

Thanks

Edited: 8:57 am, February 26, 2013
Xi'an
8. Re: Xian

A week in Xi'an What do you plan to see?I will tell you 5 routes sites:1)East Line: terra cotta warriors--Hot Spring--Banpo Remains(others: Dangjia Mingqing villige Sima Temmple,Huasha Mountain); 2)City Tour: City Wall--Psgoda--History Museum--Bell & Drum Towers--Muslim Quarter.... 3)North Tour line: Han Yangling Undergrand Museum--Yellow Emperor Tomb--Yellow River Hukou Whaterfall--Red Site Yanan and Cave Dewelling.....4) West Line:Han & Tang Tombs--Famen temple--Hu County Farmers Painting....5)Qinling Mountains ---Happy in the Villige(food)--Guan zhong Folk Custmrs Museum--Pandas Preserve Center.....Any more question? please post message. Thanks Beiping w

Pg
reviews: 40
9. Re: Xian

my contention is to have relax tour .I would like to spend a week or 10 days to Xian and surrounding 1 or 2 towns. Sight seeing plus food.

Thanks for your advise , will try to slot in all the movement.

beijing
reviews: 5
10. Re: Xian

I think a week is a bit long, maybe 5 days based in Xi'an to do the city and other surrounding things (Longmen Grottoes, Huashan, Maijishan) is enough. Depends how long the rest of your China trip is and what the other opportunities for the time is.

Edited: 11:44 am, May 24, 2013
Reply to: Xian
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted