We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Xi'an

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 106
Visiting Xi'an

Hi,

I was wondering - do we need guide/driver for visiting Xian Old town (usual - main Pagodas, City Wall, Muslim quarter)? We are going to stay in very centrally located hotel. It's not that we are trying to save (although being cost effective won't hurt anyone these days). It's just that we love to "communicate" with the places mostly on our own, privately...

We will still get guide/driver for TW and other out-of-town sites.

Thanks,

P

San Diego...
reviews: 5
1. Re: Visiting Xi'an

No, you really don't. Even the Warrior Museum can be reached by taking the 306 bus from the east side of the parking lot in front of the Xi'an train station. The Bell Tower, Drum Tower, Muslim Quarter w/Great Mosque are all easily within walking distance of each other. Any city site farther from your hotel than you'd want to walk can easily be reached by taxi. Just have your hotel write the name(s) of places you want to go to in Chinese to give the taxi driver. A good site that provides a lot of information on each attraction, including transportion options and the attraction name in Chinese, can be found here: www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/xian.htm

Sydney, New South...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Visiting Xi'an

As per John, no need for a tour guide for that section of the city. There's actually a tourist office near to the Bell Tower that have maps and information.

Another fun thing you can do, if you are able, is to ride around the city walls on a bike. You actually go up on to the city walls themselves (so there's no traffic) and hire the bike(s) (reasonable price) and ride at your own leisure around the top of the city wall.

For Bing Ma You (Terracotta Warriors), if you do not speak Chinese then I would recommend a tour guide to get from the city to the museum (about 30 minute drive from memory) and guide you around the museum etc. I had a basic level of Chinese and was able to find the correct bus and go there myself and got a government employed guide at the museum who spoke English.. but for someone without much Chinese skills, it might be a bit difficult.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
3. Re: Visiting Xi'an

Hello:

No guide necessary since those sites are easily find, you can tour by your own. Maybe you can find some places are very interesting at the local Mulism quarter, you will never find from the regular tourist road and guide book.

Enjoy you stay in

xianhistorytourguide

Seattle, Washington
4. Re: Visiting Xi'an

You don't really need a guide for the old town. Here is a live trip to Xi'an. Hope it helps.

vivitrip.com/trips/a-trip-to-xian-china/

Xi'an
5. Re: Visiting Xi'an

I don't think so.Xi'an is old city.Every site had it's owen hhistory.I think hire a guide or driver(speaking English).Good for your trip. Thanks wbptrip

xi an
reviews: 6
6. Re: Visiting Xi'an

people travel different way .some like guide some not .

by my opinion .you do not need guide in city area .but need one for terra cotta tour .that will help you understand chinese history a lot .

it is easy to find a guide right outside tcw.

Xi'an
reviews: 9
7. Re: Visiting Xi'an

As for finding those places listed above are quiet easy if you have a good English and Chinese map, if you are worry for finding the place, then no necessasry for a guide.City Wall and Muslim street can easily walk about 5 minutes if you start from Bell tower. But Big Wild Goose pagada is a bit far if you live inside the wall, then you need take a taxi about 20 minutes on the taxi(due to the traffic though).

I appriacian your idea of living locally and more communicaition, so if you want to know more about local's life and cultural and good places to eat , you need either have an explore on guide book before you go , or hire a guide.To the Terra-cotta Warrior , guide is highly needed as they know how to see it in the best way and some stories about the worriors the guide book may not know.

8. Re: Visiting Xi'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 06, 2014