We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train vs air?

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 107
Train vs air?

Hi,

what is the difference - pros and cons of the train (Beijin-Xi an)?

Is it comfortable? How many people are in one compartment?

Thanks,

P

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
1. Re: Train vs air?

Hello:

There are many different trains you can choose from beijing to xian, if you find a regular sofe seat four berths, delux soft seat ( private rest room) two berths.

Usually it take you 10-11 hours from beijing to xian by this tepe train.

Enjoy you stay in

xianhistorytourguide

Xi'an, China
2. Re: Train vs air?

I suggest you to take train Z19/20 from Beijing to Xi'an, an overnight train. there will be four people in a cabin. soft sleeper berth in a cabin then. very comfortable and clean.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
3. Re: Train vs air?

Pretty much the same pros and cons as in most places in the world. The pros of the train is that you leave from downtown and not a far away airport, you can walk around on the train, there is less security to go trough and no luggage to check in and is often cheaper. On the other hand the train takes more time. In addition, if you take the overnight train you save on a hotel room. Some trains on this route have "deluxe soft sleepers". If you can get tickets for them they are quite good as they are a "private room" for two with your own toilet.

Canada
4. Re: Train vs air?

Thank you,

Where can I book this train?

Thank you,

P

Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 2
5. Re: Train vs air?

I just looked as I am travelling the same route. It is the same price to fly as to take the train. Why would I sit on a train for 30 hours when I can fly? This is schenzen to beijing.

Xi'an, China
6. Re: Train vs air?

taking the air is the best way from Shenzhen to Beijing. it's not good way to take train from SHenzhen to Beijing.

Xi'an, China
7. Re: Train vs air?

www.12306.cn

Magog, Canada
reviews: 456
8. Re: Train vs air?

The OP is not traveling Shenzhen to Beijing, not the same.

Train tickets go on sale 12 days prior to departure. They go on sale on the website mentioned above but this website is useless for tourists. You need to use an agent. There are two types. One type such as www.chinatripadvisor.com charges a big premium, require payment in advance but deliver to your hotel. Or you can contact china.diy.travel@gmail.com, they do not require advance payment, charge much less but do not deliver. You get a confirmation which you exchange for real tickets at the station (sort of like a "will call" system).

Canada
9. Re: Train vs air?

Thank you very much PJ. That's what I needed to know... My concern is - within 12ds of departure... hm... What if there will be more customers then tickets? I am used to buy everything in advance. Also, I really would like to get one of those "deluxe soft sleepers". Will they be awailable?

Thanks,

P

P.S. I found this schedule on line: www.chinaticketonline.com/english/index.php…

Is this the right one?

Thanks,

P

Canada
10. Re: Train vs air?

Dear Xi'an residents/TA members,

I appreciate very much your advice and your valuable knowledge of the area. I am looking forward to visiting your beautiful city soon.

Nevertheless:

Please do not send me Personal Messages offering your services.

Self promotion and soliciting are against TA rules.

Thank you,

P