We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 17
Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

I would like to recommend Brian Bay for local guide of Xian. He has a wonderful knowledge of local history, his english is excellent and he loves his job as a tour guide. To Brian Bay being a guide is a liftestyle. He is dedicated, enthusiastic and highly professional. But what makes Brian special is his kindness and helpfulness. He helped us send a parcel from the post office - I doubt we could have done it ourselves, sending a parcel from China to Europe is quite complicated. We had to fill in an address in Xian - and Brian Bay suggested that we used his private address. And so we did - because we knew that we could trust him if anything went wrong.

One more thing that shows Brians helpfullness: We wanted to see the Terracottas and the historic museum on day 1. Day 2 we only needed Brians help to get the tickets to the Tang Show. Or so we thought. Although it was Brians day off, he insisted on guiding us to the show to make sure we were allright. He had ordered the dumbling dinner (very delicious) and made a reservation for good tickets. He also insisted on showing us the muslim mosque and helped us bargain in the bazaar (good for us, not so good for the saleswoman - had we been on our own we would have paid double and believed we did a good bargain...)

At the Terracottas he brought us to a local noodlerestaurant - the meal was delicious. And cheap.

I also want to recommend Brians Bays driver. He is by far the best driver we came across in China. We felt safe every minute. The van/minibus is new and confortable.

We felt sad leaving Xian and Brian Bay - it felt as if we said goodbye to a friend. How many guides do you think of as a friend? Not many.

154 replies to this topic
sacramento, ca
reviews: 26
1. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

We are going to Xian as well in Nov.....we might need a tour guide to drive and show us various sites.

How much was he and how can I contact him? Thanks

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
2. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

Hello:

Thanks.

bryanbai

xi an
reviews: 6
3. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

send a note to the first poster .then you will know how to find him .

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 42
4. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

I would simply just say AGREE with the original poster. Had Bryan as a tour guide Thursday 20th of September.

He speaks excellent english! Did the TerraCotta Warriors, Big Pagoda and Small Pagoda and The Great Mosque (tried finding it alone, it was hard).

His knowledge of history is excellent. I like to take a lot of pictures so he adapted and he made me feel that this is your trip. He was only there to help and guide. After TCW we had lunch at a local noodle restaurant. VERY good food and very cheap.

In the city centre he also helped my bying some things I wanted.

He is HIGHLY recommended. Had a great day.

(The driver we had was also excellent. Probably the best driving I have experienced in China till this day.)

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
5. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

Hello jaoao:

You are also a great people, through talking I leaned a lot about your country.

I need thank you.

bryanbai

Seattle, Washington
6. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

Hi, I am interested in tour guide and driver for a family of 5. Can I get Brian Bay's information? We will be spending 2 days in Xian. Besides the TCW I don't know what else is a "Must Hit".

Oslo, Norway
reviews: 42
7. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

Sam_N2009: I have sent you a private message with the e-mail address I used to communicate with him.

Sohar, Oman
8. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

hi, can I ask how much did you pay for one day tour? because we are going to Xian on 1st of October and need a tour guide too.

Massachusetts
9. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

I can also highly recommend Bryan. Over the course of a day and a half, Oct 14 & 15 (2012), he took us to the Han Yanling Museum, the Shaanxi History Museum, the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum & the Big Wild Goose Pagoda. Also to the wonderful local noodle restaurant near the TC Museum (as others have said, the meal was wonderful and inexpensive).

Bryan is supremely knowledgeable about Chinese history in general, and Xi'an's local history in particular. The depth of his knowledge is extensive, and he shares it in a manner both interesting and easy to understand (his English skills are excellent). His answers are never canned: they're tailored to the very specifics of the questions asked. He also has a wonderful, gentle nature that makes it a pleasure to spend time with him.

Bryan also arranged transportation for us to and from the airport. We had the same driver for both transfers, as well as for our day-long trip to the TC Warriors, etc. His driver (Mr. Li) is excellent at maneuvering the chaotic roads and highways of Xi'an, and we always felt very secure with him at the wheel. After a few hair-raising taxi rides in Beijing, we were delighted to ride with the trustworthy Mr. Li.

Another unusual thing about Bryan is his insistence on making sure that everything about his clients' stay in Xi'an goes well, even if he hasn't arranged it. In our case, he came with us into our hotel and made sure that our check-in went smoothly and that we were given a room in the preferred wing of the hotel. As it turns out, it made a big difference that we were in the wing Bryan arranged for us, and we were thankful for his unexpected help with this. I'm guessing that most other guides would have simply dropped us off at the hotel entrance (after all, that's what we'd contracted for). But not Bryan; he's not satisfied until he's sure everything will go well for his clients.

Finally, Bryan has gotten so popular as a Xi'an tour guide that he's often booked well in advance. We booked his services 4 or 5 months ahead of our trip, just to make sure he'd be available. I doubt you have to book quite that early, but certainly don't wait 'til the last minute. Once you know your dates, get in touch with him. And, enjoy Xi'an!

Sydney
reviews: 1
10. Re: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!

I took a two day tour with Bryan in Xi'an in December and I highly recommend him. As with the other posts on here, Bryan was always prompt in responding to our emails, met us at the airport, had a spacious van / driver for us and really ensured that our time in Xi'an was well spent. He also stayed with us at the hotel check in and the airport check in upon departure, and provided useful recommendations for us for restaurants, which was especially helpful given my travelling companion has a gluten allergy.

His tour was tailored to the sights we specifically requested and he was very knowledgeable throughout the tour.

Reply to: Xian Tour Guide Brian Bay - recommended!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted