We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis
Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

We used Linda to tour around Xi'an and even neighboring Huashan mountain. She took care of us everywhere we went with the utmost service. She arranged for a private car when it was warranted and took care of all public transportation details when we went without. As small as it may sound, she haggled very aggressively with taxi drivers for us when they weren't going to use the meter. The cost savings was never going to be substantial, but the fact that she looked out for us in all things big AND small really made us appreciate her all the more! Her knowledge of the history of Xi'an was excellent and her English was superb. I don't hesitate to recommend her.

Linda - xianprivatetour@gmail.com

Cary, NC
reviews: 5
1. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

How much did you pay her?

Minneapolis
2. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

All our guides in all three cities (Beijing, Xian, Chengdu) all charged the same rate - 300 RMB per day. However, this is most likely a combination of coincidence and time of year. I got the impression that all rates are inherently negotiated on a per tour basis. Also, I read in a guidebook that tips for private guides should be in the 100 RMB per day range, with an additional 50 RMB per day tip to a private driver if used.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 624
3. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

You do not tip private guides. Just think about it, you first negotiate their rate then you pay more than agreed?

Xi'an, China
4. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

You have your money on your hand, why you pay more than agreed? it's impossible. it seems every private tour to be better.

Minneapolis
5. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

I'd argue that all tipping boils down to that, JP. You go to a restaurant and order relative to the posted prices in the menu. Then you turn around and tip the server above that amount.

I understand that by and large China (and Canada) is not a tipping culture and rarely is a tip expected. But given the extremely personal nature of a private guide and all they did for us, I stand by my decision to tip them above their requested rate.

Shanghai, China
6. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

During April 2012 I used Linda as our Xi'an city guide.. Linda was so fabulous .. most informed, professional and organised plus a beautiful personality speaking wonderful english.. Our party consisted of 3 adults and 2 young girls - aged 8 and 10 .. Xi'An is overflowing with historical events and sites.. With Linda's stories of relaying the history of Xi'an, emperors activities, etc the girls learned loads with much fun and retained the information to being back to their classmates as a school project.... The perfect Man.... Linda I cannot thankyou enough for making our trip such a beautiful memory.. The girls will not forget you... My thanks.. Louise

Xi'an
reviews: 1
7. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

Thanks Aeric and Louise, It was my pleasure to be your tour guide in Xi'an!

xi an
reviews: 29
8. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

thanks linda .you did great job

Katonah, NY
reviews: 320
9. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

Linda was also our guide and she was great! I recommend her highly.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
10. Re: Excellent guide in Xi'an - Linda!

We also had a very good trip to Xian - thanks to Linda's tour guide services. She is very professional, friendly and systematic and took good care of all of us.