We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United States
reviews: 51
Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

I would like to hire a driver rather than a tour guide because I dont like the structures and schedules of the tours.

I just want someone to come pick me up and drive me to place and then come back to pick me up at a scheduled time.

If I am looking for a driver for about 1-3 days, how much does it cost per day?

WHere can I find one?

thanks

35 replies to this topic
Toronto
reviews: 4
1. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

it is very easy to take metered taxis in Xian and there are plenty of them.

You can ask the concierge to write the name of the attractions for you in Chinese characters to show to the taxi driver.

New York City, New...
reviews: 47
2. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

I had eric for a day and a half. He was prompt, courteous, and had a very good command of english. if you like is address, pm me.

xi'an China
3. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

lots taxies in xi'an, but the problem is it is hard to get druring the rush hours or with the bad weather.if you live in a hotel in city centre, it is easier and more flexible to walk to some places by yourself ,like bell tower,city wall , mosque and muslim street, my suggestion is to hire a viecle to take a tour to terry-cotta army which is 40 km away from xi'an.

wish you a enjoyble tour in xi'an

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
reviews: 3
4. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Taxi true cost:

For city sightseeing: 60 Yuan/day.

For TCWs: 150 Yuan one way.

Downside taking taxi is big risk that you get easily ripped off by dishonor driver. Taxi of this city has a good reputation cheating their clients.

If hiring car from travel agency for above places it would come to 200-300 RMB/day. But still, you need to make clear in advance if you need shopping stop.

Xi'an, China
reviews: 11
5. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Hello;

Firstly, if you book a taxi with meter charge your fee, you will pay more than the one you book it your whole day's tour, because the metre continue truning around no matter you are sighseeing in the sites, or get stuck the traffics.

Secondly, form 3:30-4:30 which is the hardest time for you call a taxi in the city due to shifting time of drivers.

hope this can help you

xianhistorytourguide

Xi'an
reviews: 1
6. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

It's better to book a private car rather than call a taxi, some of the taxi drivers may drive you long way arround. For the private car, you can agree a price, then you can pay the driver when you finish the tour.

Hope this helps,

xianprivatetour

Singapore
7. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Hi

I used Eric Xu's services in early April. He is not a guide but a driver. Excellent English, very accomodating and a good grasp of Xian's history (I had read ahead and am pleased he knew his Xian!).

I had specific dietary requirements and Eric made sure he sent me to the right kind of restaurants. Was especially grateful when he offered to sent me right up to my train berth - getting into the train station could be a bewildering experience!

If you need his email, please pm me.

Brisbane, Australia
8. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Hi, it would be great if you could please send me Eric's contact details. My family & I are visiting Beijing in October & am wanting to take the sleeper train to Xian, we will be arriving at 08.12 am & will need to be picked up & taken around to the sights, then dropped back to the train station for our train to Shanghai. Eric sounds like he is the man for the job. Any information you can give will be greatly appreciated. Please email me at lilmzskylynne@hotmail.com. Thank you

Hong Kong
reviews: 100
9. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

Are you visiting Xian for just 1 day? I suggest 3 days at least to get a good overview of this city. There's no point to do a quick trip here on the way from Beijing to Shanghai - it's just too out of the way for a day trip sort of excursion. If within the city, I don't think a private car is necessary as many of the sights are close to the metro, although the hire is not expensive and less of a hassle. Once you get out of the city, such as Famen Temple and Qianling, then a car is a must.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 493
10. Re: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide

If you hire a private guide there is no schedule. You take your time and move on when you have enough. And you decide what to vist.

Reply to: Hire a driver for 1-2 days vs a tour guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted