We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach...
reviews: 3
Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Michael told me there are many good guides in Xi'an... he is very modest. He guided us (my wife and me) superbly last month and we highly recommend his service. He arranged a great driver (including from/to the airport) and exceeded all expectations as a guide for the Terracotta soldiers, bicycling the Wall, walking and eating at the Muslim quarter, climbing the Drum Tower, and viewing the Tang Dynasty show. Michael is from Xi'an and his knowledge of it's history is deep.

He is a former English teacher and his spoken English is better than most Americans (oddly, it is better than his written emails). He was happy to make a very customized tour for us. More than just a guide, Michael provided insight to today's life in China. Like working hard to put his 12-year-old daughter through private school, or growing up under Mao's influence, or being followed by the Chinese gov't when he was guiding an American official on vacation. We also had very good guides in Beijing, Chengdu, Guilin/Yangshuo and Shanghai, and Michael had the most professional experience of all 5. He was very responsive to emails in arranging our Xi'an trip.

If you choose to contact him, feel free to use my name for special attention. (michaelylw@yahoo.com.cn)

Feel free to contact me with questions. Enjoy China! We found it an amazing place with wonderful people.

Eric

1. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

What did he charge? How long did you stay in Xian?

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
2. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Thanks for the info.

Huntington Beach...
3. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Chris, We were in Xi'an for one and a half days. I paid 350 per day for guide service and 400 daily for a driver and car. (6yuan=1 US dollar). We were so pleased I gave Michael a 50% tip.

Edited: 3:57 am, December 02, 2011
Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
4. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Quote is ok, your are what a great tipper!

New York
reviews: 2
5. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

hi Eric

I wanted to know if it is necessary to have a guide in the Shanxii Museum? Do they have any headsets - any good.

Does Michael know enough to be helpful in a museum

Thanks

Bob

6. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, April 10, 2012
Xi'an, China
7. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

That's right.

xi'an China
8. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

--------"I wanted to know if it is necessary to have a guide in the Shanxii Museum? Do they have any headsets - any good."

In Shaan xi history museum, there are different choices about the guide,first , you could have a headsets which give you explaination, second , individual guice service available .I recommend the second one , guide explains more information and much more vivid comparing to the headset. This museum is really a good place to visit and it is one of the four best museums in China .you would know more about chinese history over there! I show my clinets aroud there very oftern and they are all deep impressed on the rich history of xi'an and china .wish you a good trip in xi'an !

Edited: 7:07 pm, April 10, 2012
Sunderland, United...
reviews: 8
9. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

Hi

Could I ask how much did Michael charge per day?

Thanks

Sue

Xi'an, China
10. Re: Xi'an Tour Guide Michael Yang - Recommended!

they paid 350 per day for guide service and 400 daily for a driver and car.