We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terracotta Army

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Terracotta Army

Just got back from a fantastic trip to China, did a lot for research on this site, hope this helps anyone who is also planning a visit.

You can use the public transport to get to this site. I caught the 611 bus 30m west of the Melody hotel to the railway station. You need to get to the east car park, try and locate the big white China Post Office Building.

You need to catch the Tourist Bus Route #5. You will be approached by scammers trying to get on their mini busses, ignore them and head for bus #5. The bus cost Y7 and took 1 hour to get the TC car park. Follow the other Chinese tourist to the ticket office which is a 5 minute walk. Buy your entrance ticket and there is another counter for the electric car ride to the TC complex. You will be pestered by guides, but I didn’t take one. I visited the exhibition hall first. The exhibits were very good but there are too many people taking photos like no tomorrow and spoilt the ambience. Pits 1, 2 and 3 were amazing.

Upon exit follow the signs to way out. There are lots of shops on the way, I ended up on the roadside somehow and caught the bus back to Xian from this point, however I was trying to get back to the car park where the bus had dropped me off on the way in.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
1. Re: Terracotta Army

Thanks for your report, we also went by public transport and really enjoyed the experience.

New York City, New...
reviews: 56
2. Re: Terracotta Army

I ended up on the roadside somehow and caught the bus back to Xian from this point, however I was trying to get back to the car park where the bus had dropped me off on the way in. "

just curious, did you catch the same 916 bus from the roadside? Or a regular bus or private bus.

London
3. Re: Terracotta Army

Not sure I saw the bus number but can confirm it took the same route and drop off point at Xian was the same too, so I guess yes it was the 916. On the road side there were two police officers under an umbrella. I enquired about the bus to Xian, they gestured to wait at this point. When the bus came they told me to get on, other Chinese tourists were also waiting. I recall the car park where I got off on arrival was only 150m away from where I was standing.

London
4. Re: Terracotta Army

The bus number is 316, route tourist bus #5, not 916

New York City, New...
5. Re: Terracotta Army

thanks! sorry. i got mixed up with the bus no. for mutianyu!

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
reviews: 104
6. Re: Terracotta Army

Thanks mrbmLND for a very detailed logistical report. It should help everyone who wants to avoid the taxis and guides. Visitors are best advised to buy a terra cotta soldiers book before they leave home and research the subject to fully appreciate everything you see there. It makes the 2+ hours far more worthwhile, and you have a souvenir book waiting for you when you get home, a much better investment than a guide. I have found the stories of some guides to be fanciful, a nice word for embellished history or less than authentic.

Vancouver, B.C.
7. Re: Terracotta Army

Are you sure the bus number isn't 306?

Xi'an
8. Re: Terracotta Army

There are two type of buses you may take from the east car park at railway station. 306 (bus 5) or 915 (Green colored middle size bus). 306 is well known by tourists, so you always see a long waiting line in front of it, instead, 915 is a local bus goes to the same places, 7RMB each.

How to find 915?

Few buses down from 306.

London
9. Re: Terracotta Army

Just looked at the photos, yes it is the 306, tourist bus number 5. Sorry!!!

Vancouver, B.C.
10. Re: Terracotta Army

I haven't gone myself but wanted to make sure the info was correct. Thanks for the very detailed description of where to take the bus. Did you also stop at the mausoleum?