We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xian Guide Recommendation

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 32
Xian Guide Recommendation

i just wanted to recommend: Wendy Yang and she is a licensed guide, usually very busy with larger group tours in Xi'an and all over China. Her english is excellent and what is even better she understood all the nuances and a lot of slang. It was great not to have to struggle to understand what my guide was saying and to have her understand me fully. I didnt want to go to the museum at first but she convinced me to since it was free and it turned out to be very interesting. The driver she hired was great also and she remained flexible throughout the trip, and he was very resourceful also. I wanted local food and he brought us to a great local restaurant, where our meal for 3 for only 44cny, and although we offered to pay for him he was too modest to eat with us. He also stopped when he saw a place that sold a special stone bread and told us we should try it. We had a mini van for just the 2 of us so it was nice and roomy for the same price as the car that was offered with other guides. She was such a joy to be around. I was glad i found her. She knew we were on a budget and never pushed us to buy or do things we didnt want to do. Is she recommended a place to visit, she always told us what it cost first to make sure we wanted to go. Wendy's email is: windyg3@gmail.com and you can locate a bio of her on http://xian-travel.com/tour-guide/wendy.html.

1. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, July 30, 2012
BC
reviews: 117
2. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

Thanks for posting your review.

I just wanted to mention that your link for her website won't work when it is clicked on, however, this is only because the final "." gets included in the hyperlink.

Wendy, what is the Xian Panda tour? I'm sure it will be popular!

3. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, July 30, 2012
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 22
4. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

I would also like to recommend Wendy for local tours of Xi'an. Wendy provides a wide variety of local tours in Xi'an and surrounding area and will provide a good introduction to local people and culture. I have been fortunate to have Wendy as a guide as she is very personable and has wonderful knowlledge of local culture and history.Most important she is able to communicate this knowledge as her English is excellent. Wendy is also a good cook and if asked may be able to provide a home cooked meal as part of tour. If you are thinking of visiting Xi'an I would recommend Wendy as a guide as she will provide a great tour of Xi'an, it's people, culture and history.

Edited: 11:18 am, June 11, 2012
Tampa, Florida
reviews: 28
5. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

My husband and I are US citizens, living and working in China this year. Our two days in Xian were probably the best weekend we have had in China thanks to Wendy. She is the best tour guide. From the moment she picked us up at the airport, she treated us as friends, not strangers. She has an incredible charisma and knowledge about the history, culture, and people of China. We saw and learned more than we could have imagined or hoped to. The history of Xian is awe inspiring. The restaurants Wendy chose to share with us were so authentic and the food was so tasty -- everything was exactly what we were looking for -- a total immersion into a local area. , ,and Wendy provided that. She not only showed us the museums and artifacts but she shared herself and her culture with us. We like to travel and Wendy is by far the best tour guide we have ever had. You can find her at windyg3@gmail.com.

Clearwater, Florida
reviews: 3
6. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

I totally agree with reviews on Wendy, she is wonderful. I have been to Xi’an before and had another guide, I cannot remember his name which tells you about him. Wendy however I don’t think I can ever forget, she made trip fun and she is so full of life. From our first meetings it was obvious she was well spoken and understood everything we talked about, she also does her homework and keeps you informed before you even get to China. She was so great at arranging everything and contacting me by e-mail before the trip even began, she booked dinner show and arranged train tickets for Beijing and to top it off she accompanied us to train station and made sure we got to our cabin. You can tell a guide is good when you are sad as they walk away, we were very sad to see her leave the train and hope to see her again in the future. I like to think we made a friend in Xi’an and will try to stay in contact with her, I have to tell you if you’re going to Xi’an you MUST contact her!!!!!!

San Francisco...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

We visited Xi'an for two full days, one day to Holy Mount Hua (breath taking!) and to the city of Xi'an. Wendy was our guide. Here are the top noteworthy statements for Wendy:

1. Professional and trustworthy

2. Remarkable english skill, conversing with her was a delight

3. Knowledgeable and up to date. At the Terra Cotta she mentioned that she visits the sites during her leisure time and ask for tour herself. Since this is a live excavation area, they will always have updated information.

4. Local know-how with international experience. Local food: The lamb soup and skewers on the side street was FANTASTIC. We also has traditional Xi'an breakfast and this stone bread, only available in certain area.

In summary - I would visit Xi'an again, and of course book the tour with Wendy. Have fun and seize the day!

Stafford, Virginia
8. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

I concur with the positive comments about Wendy. My wife and I learned so much about China in general, and Xi'an in particular. My photo journal is full of "fun facts" that we picked up from Wendy, who went out of her way to personalize the experience for us. We packed so much into our two days together, yet my wife and I didn't feel rushed or even tired. Looking back at our photos we're saying, "Did we really do all THAT?"

Yes, we did. And having a great guide made it possible. Thanks Wendy!

Los Angeles
reviews: 123
9. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

My teenage daughter and I hired Wendy Yang for a day tour to the Warriors. As a Mom and daughter, I felt more comfortable having a female guide.

Her contact info. is: windyg3@gmail.com (or website www.xian-travel.com)

+86 137 0921 6627

Wendy is reliable. She responds to emails promptly. Her English is excellent. She is friendly and knowledgeable. She welcomes any questions. For example, we asked about what she eats at home and she was happy to tell us about how she makes her favorite soup and dumplings.

On our return from the Warriors, we stopped in a small village to get some unusual freshly made bread baked over black pebbles! We loved this unexpected stop...ask her to take you there.

We also wanted to eat sour noodles for lunch and she took us to a restaurant she liked (clean and inexpensive). She sat with us, went over the menu and helped us order. She paid for her own meal.

We specifically requested an air conditioned car and Wendy did this. I think we paid about CNY900 for a full day (car, driver, guide).

San Francisco...
reviews: 44
10. Re: Xian Guide Recommendation

Largely through recommendations on this site I contracted with Wendy Yang. What everyone has said is true - she is smart, articulate, has an advanced command of English, and an all around joy to be with. Our tour to the terra cotta warriors was fun and educational, but further during our time in Xi'an an anti-Japanese protest was going on, and though it disrupted our plans her quick thinking and pragmatism made the experience an interesting one. I genuinely liked Wendy as a person in addition to a tour guide, she has knowledge and a global perspective that make her a person I would talk to for a long time about politics, life, and China. Cannot say enough good about her. Not sure I will ever get back to Xi'an, but if I did I would not hesitate to use her services or just meet her to talk.