We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel

Which Guilin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Train Travel

I'm traveling to China in about a month, and I was wondering how best to travel around internally. I'm flying into Shanghai, and then need to get to Guilin, before going onto Hong Kong. Is it advisable to try and buy any train tickets prior to arriving in the country, or should I be fine buying tickets there?

Also if I have a single entry Chinese visa, can I take internal flights?

Thanks in advance for any help.

hong kong
reviews: 165
1. Re: Train Travel

Shanghai to Guilin is a long train journey. Maybe fly that route instead. Look on www.travelzen.com or www.elong.net for flights.

Guilin to Shenzhen by train is ok. Then cross the border into Hong Kong. Get your hotel in Guilin (or Yangshuo) to get you tickets.

Using an agent outside China to get you tickets in advance will be very expensive.

You can take internal China flights.

Shanghai, China
2. Re: Train Travel

Fly Shanghai -- Guilin as the train ride is too long for most people's liking. No direct train for Guilin -- Hong Kong, take a train to Shenzhen instead.

Domestic flights won't affect your China visa.

3. Re: Train Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, February 27, 2010