We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Police registration question! First time in China

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
reviews: 22
Police registration question! First time in China

Hi all, I am a singaporean traveling to Guangzhou (currently in the midst of applying for a tourist visa). My destination is Ningbo, which is 24 hours away by train. Question: I arrive at Guangzhou airport on 26 Sep 12am and I intend to go to the train station asap to buy a ticket to Ningbo for the same day. Do I need to register with the police upon arrival in Guangzhou even though I am not staying? Will they take in account my long train ride?

Thanks in advance!

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
11. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

ACA44: your first post #7 says nothing about supporting documents. I was merely pointing out the fact that these are needed, as your follow-up reply confirms. I don't know what you mean by 'not every city or police requires this' - I assumed you were talking about applying for a visa not registering residence. For the former, these documents must be provided. For the latter, in my experience, it depends on whether or not you have previously been registered at a specific address as to whether or not they're needed. I think we may have been talking at cross purposes.

For the OP to register residence, I would suggest having all documents and photocopies thereof just in case, possibly even a passport photograph as well. I assume the visa application is underway and so their friend can't help with that now unless they already have provided invitation documents.

For other interested parties, always check in your country what you need to do to get a visa for visiting a friend as there may be different rules for different passport holders.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 48
12. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

Just FYI, my mother recently applied for a China tourist visa, with no invitation, she was automatically issued a 2 years multiple entry visa in San Francisco, which she did not even ask for, US Passport, she was never a resident or citizen of China, has no contact or friend in China.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
13. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

US citizens get a preferential treatment as per a bilateral agreement. Different for most other folks.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Beijing
reviews: 82
14. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

Invitation letters for visas are normally NOT required by tourists. However, check with the issuers for your country. Seems like US citizens get given visas very easily, although I believe they're among the most expensive.

Also, tourists staying in hotels and similar lodgings will be registered with the local police after they have checked-in and do not need to do anything themselves.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 167
15. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

Good reply thank you.qupnicely

Edited: 12:38 am, September 12, 2013
16. Re: Police registration question! First time in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 14, 2014