We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

Hubby and myself are flying Brisbane - Guangzhou - London and return or way over we have a night in hotel and on way back 8hr wait at airport. Travel agent says we can apply on arrival at airport rather than in advance (I have checked costs and am thinking of getting double entry visa so have option of tour on longer stay over) My question is - do we need different paperwork between the options and is it a different cost if we wait and do at the airport. We are flying with China Southern.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 457
1. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

There is no such thing as visa at the airport. however if you are just in transit for no more than 24 hours then you have a visa exemption. In principle during that time you are supposed to stay at the airport but often people are able to leave.

Check here: china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
2. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

If your travel agent tells you that you can apply for a visa at the airport, I'd fire him/her immediately. As JP says, if you are just transiting through with an onward ticket, you don't need a visa. But if you plan to stay longer, then you need to get a visa while you are still in Oz.

Aus
reviews: 4
3. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

Please god don't go there without a visa if you plan to leave the airport!!!

Brisbane
reviews: 43
4. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

When you check in ask for a temporary visa form, you complete this then hand to chinese immigration on arrival. You must have confirmed onward travel within 24hrs of arrival. There is no need to apply for visa if you are just going to hotel

Brisbane
reviews: 9
5. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

The Chinese Consulate in Adelaide Street does not issue visas, now you have to go to a visa service which is at 140 Ann Street, CSA are situated there on the 6th floor and the visa service is on the 4th. Here is their web site. http://www.visaforchina.org/BNE_EN/

A double entry Chinese visa costs $90 plus the visa service cost of $35 plus GST of $7. When you lodge your application they want a print-out of your itinerary and a print out of your hotel booking. Download the visa application and fill it out before you go in. Get the double entry visa it will save you a lot of hassles.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

Thankyou everyone for your help - but to confirm if the Airline supplies the hotel we dont need to get a temporary visa form but should if we plan to leave the airport to sight see?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau Region
reviews: 9
7. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

I was under the impression that we need visas even to get as far as the hotel (as it is outside the security zone) ...

Another issue you need to consider is whether the check-in staff at BNE and LHR know about the possibility of obtaining a transit visa - otherwise they might not even let you on the plane!

And then there's the weather and other unforeseen delays that could tip you over the 24 hour mark: Chinese officials are NOT noted for being understanding/ sympathetic, even when something that *breaks the rules* is totally outside a person's control :-(

I tend to be a very risk-averse person when travelling; in your shoes I would opt for a double entry visa, but others would disagree - your choice!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
8. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

oisaan, I do not agree. If thdmere is a weather issue causing flight cancellations I assume they will not put you in jail. One example is the volcano issue happened in 2010. Visa were issued to the stranded people. I know some people who had the issue. China is not that bad...

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
9. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

I also don't agree with oisaan. Several airlines fly that kind of route through several Chinese cities these days. Lots of people transit through China. OP booked the flight with onward tickets and they (the Chinese) know about transit passengers.

Magog, Canada
reviews: 457
10. Re: chinese visa is same cost if apply in Aust. or at airport?

There are many reports here of people in transit being allowed to leave the airport.