We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do near Guangzhou airport

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surfers Paradise...
reviews: 8
Things to do near Guangzhou airport

Our stopover is only 7 hours and we would like to get out of the airport for a look around, maybe something to eat and a Chinese beer or two!

Is there anywhere near the airport we could go as I think we will be pushing it to go all the way to the CBD.

We have 2 days in Guangzhou on the way back so we really want to get a feel for the place.

Suggestions please!!!!!

30 replies to this topic
Guangzhou ,China
reviews: 1
1. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

its easy to get beer and have some local food or even do some shopping in the airport if you donot care about the steep prices there. But if the stopover is 7 hours , why not just go to city center then. U can take the metro to Guangzhou train station areas and check some handbags and clothes wholesale markets .Then go back to the airport by metro as well .

Tortola
reviews: 76
2. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

I am here for a week while my husband is on a business trip and I was shocked at the size of the city . I have been using the metro and following advice of trip advisor . I went to see the chan family temple , it was right outside the metro door . Then I took the metro back to the GangZhou Beijing pedestrian street. It was full of people but no where near as crazy as the markets. Easy to find your way around. I thought the prices were good . Found a Temple being used with wonderful Buddest statues . It was very interesting seeing lots of people bringing food for the temple and the dead. There were hundreds of photos and names in the walls of many buildings of people who had died. Lots of shops in this area , restaurant etc . Might do the safari park tomorrow .

Surfers Paradise...
3. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

Sounds lime u are having a great time! Gypsygirl We Can't wait to get there ! Just worried how mnuch we can do in 7 hours when we have to check back in 3 hours before our flight onwards ! only really gives us 4 hours .... and we have to get out of the airport first! Maybe 3 hours!!!

Edited: 10:51 am, April 03, 2012
Surfers Paradise...
4. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

Thanks echina source ! I think time is too tight as we will have to book in for next flight 3 hours before. Also, might take maybe an hour (or more) to get out oh the airport! There must be something close to the airport!!!! Help . Have to look around a bit!!! Xxxx

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
5. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

I would advice not the get out of the airport. You said that your "usable" time is maybe only 3 hours. Guangzhou is a big city and very spread out. From the Baiyun Airport to the city "center", on a taxi it would take 30 minutes (if no traffic). On metro it can be an hour. That's each way. You would need to know exactly where you want to go too, not just "go somewhere and look around". All you might see may be some old buildings with cars and bicycles passing by with not much to look at.

Guangzhou, China
6. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

I suggest you to stay at the airport, it takes around 45mins to the city by taxi, and the city always have traffic jam. You can just shop around the airport but the price will be a bit expsensive.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau Region
reviews: 9
7. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

I agree that time would be very tight, specially as you are not familiar with the city. Better to make sure you have a nice, thick book to read or a few movies downloaded you can watch.

And beware that food and drink prices at CAN are extortionate: a full cafeteria meal in Hong Kong airport costs less than a small cup of coffee at Baiyun!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
reviews: 50
8. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

You have enough time.

1- Don't stay in CAN airport, there is nothing to do and nothing nearby.

2- A big shopping center downstairs, nothing remarkable and expensive.

3- Pullman hotel in airport is big and fancy, exceptional hotel but it is a hotel.

4- Taxi to GZ is 45-60 minutes, never 30 minutes, traffic can be bad but 1 hour is about right. 100 yuan each way.

5- CAN immigration can be long for foreign passports. 30 minutes.

6- You can have 3-3.5 hours minimum in GZ. If you taregt the right spots, that is more than enough time to see and experience this big city.

Surfers Paradise...
9. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

Is there anything NEAR the airport without going all the way in to the city. We only want a meal and a drink or two! Not really at a hotel, but if that is the only choice - so be it!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
reviews: 3
10. Re: Things to do near Guangzhou airport

How about the IN the airport? What are you expecting/hoping to find for "a mean and a drink or two"?

Reply to: Things to do near Guangzhou airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted