We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile Phone for traveler

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kanada
Mobile Phone for traveler

Last year while on business in HK & Guangzhou our suppliers recomended we purchase a cell phone so they could reach us while traveling.

Can we buy one in Hong Kong & use it for our travels in Guangzhou & Shanghai ?

Where is the best place to purchase cheap phones ?

What would the costs be ?

Thanks

Shanghai, China
1. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

More important than the phone: the SIM CARD!

kanada
2. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

In Canada we do not use sim cards, so I did not think of that.

Can a sim card be bought with a preset amount of time on it ?

Will the card work from HK - Guangzhou - Shanghai ?

Anyone buy one recently & know the costs ?

Shanghai, China
3. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

Buy a SIM card for Hong Kong (if you really need) and a new one for Guangzhou and Shanghai.

Some (not all) SIM cards come with pre-charged credit. Amount of money on the SIM card is the method of accounting, not number of minutes.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
reviews: 27
4. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

>> In Canada we do not use sim cards, so I did not think of that

Millions of Fido and Rogers wireless subscribers use SIM cards. Even Telus Mobility "Mike" users use SIM cards. If you were a Fido/Rogers user and have a world phone, you can use your phone in China, despite the high costs.

Most (but not all) SIM cards sold in HK can be used all over China, at very high costs. It would be wise to buy one card in HK and another card in China.

Check sample SIM card rates and operators here http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/operators.html

Ludhiana, India
reviews: 30
5. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

i also want to buy sim card for china and hk so as advised i will be buying seprate sims for both the placses now the question is from where to buy any places in Tim Sha Sui in hk and near main station in gz??

thnks in advace

arun jain

6. Re: Mobile Phone for traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:26 am, August 25, 2009