We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Which Al Khobar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hello community- I am an Indian (Gujarati) residing in US. I recently got an offer from Aramco. The position intends working in Al-KHobar and residing in Dahran. As I am super excited about the position, my concern is life style for my wife and 3 year old daugther. Have heard about lot of restrictions for women, but have seen some good videos about aramco complex as well. I would greatly appreciate if someone here can help me draw a realistic picture of how life is there, especially for women in and around Al-khobar. Are there parks/musems/malls/activities and things to do which can keep her busy..Are there Indians in and around that area?

Any suggestion/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Purva

13 replies to this topic
London, United...
reviews: 33
1. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

I've been in the Dhahran camp several times. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Just like a small American town. Women can drive in the camp, wear shorts, go jogging, walk the dog. But outside is different. Women can't do any of the things mentioned above. Good malls in Dammam. Khobar has a nice waterfront called tbe Corniche.

You'll enjoy it there. Very cosmopolitan and lots of people of your ethnicity too.

reviews: 5
2. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi,

I agree with the previous reply. Dhahran camp is a nice place to live for someone who comes from a western country.

Alkobar, few minutes drive from Dhahran, is one of the most beautiful cities in Saudia. It's a modern city with big malls and a nice waterfront area.

Give it a try, you will like it

Pasadena, California
3. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Human rights? Women's role in the KSA?

ipsnews.net/2013/…

Al Khobar, Saudi...
4. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi Purva,

and nice to have you in Saudi Arabia..

I am a Saudi living in Dhahran/Khobar cities and working for Saudi Aramco and I hope I can provide you with some help and overview about the Country...

Within Saudi Aramco premises, we have a great diverse workforce - over 50 nationalities working for the Company, a mix of male and female.. in addition to the beautiful and healthy mix of young and more experience generations working in harmony..

the Indian Community is quiet large in Saudi Arabia in general and in Khobar in particular.. In fact, we have the largest Indian School in the Middle East, located in Khobar, with over 35,000 Indian students.

there are multiple Indian Communities within Khobar that meet, celebrate and organize events for the Indian community in the area.

Khobar is a very beautiful city in Saudi Arabia.. in 2007, it won the title of the 2nd most beautiful green city in the middle east.

As for women in Saudi Arabia, it is a pet unique.. women are not allowed to drive cars. also, they are requested to wear "abaya" in public places.

your family will get used to these two roles very quickly.

other than that, they can do everything they do in other countries :)

finally here is a video about Khobar.. hope that you enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9useBR2Hp9o

Good luck

London, United...
reviews: 33
5. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Nice pictures above

LA
6. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi Purva,

I was wondering whether you have arrived at KSA. I am awaiting my Visa approval currently to join Saudi Aramco as well. If you are staying in the Al Rakah compound in KSA could you perhaps share your experience thus far. I have a four year old as well. Thanks.

Saudibound

Pune, India
reviews: 3
7. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi, what about rules and regulations in KSA. I have heard ,it is very difficult to live in KSA who come from democratic background of India.

reviews: 5
8. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi,

It's the first time for me to know that there are democratic & non democratic backgrounds in India. If you are comming to Saudi Arabia to work and not for political reasons, you will be ok like thousands of Indians living there.

New Plymouth, New...
9. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi Purva,

I guess its a bit old post of yours but have you finally landed in Saudi? what is your exerience? we are planning for a move soon so looking for some advise.

Thanks,

Ash

Ras Al Khaimah...
10. Re: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please

Hi u can take alook for the compound i think u will like it :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aziziyah-Village/251858511670407?ref=hl#!/pages/Aziziyah-Village/251858511670407?fref=nf

Reply to: Moving to Al-Khobar, Suggestions please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted