We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scantours private tour St. Petersburg, Russia

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 73
Scantours private tour St. Petersburg, Russia

Has anyone had any personal experience with this company? We have put a deposit down, then were told the hotel room was not available at that price but a higher priced hotel was available. We complained about the bait and switch and were then offered a small discount by management. Now we have been asked to pay our final amount by check instead of credit card to save the company the processing fee of a credit card. This has made me very nervous but I can't convince my husband to pay by credit card. I am very wary of this company so far - please does anyone know anything about their reputation? I don't want to be "stood up' at the airport!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: Scantours private tour St. Petersburg, Russia

ScanTours has been around for a long time and has a good reputation so I do not know what might be causing the problem. The check request sounds fishy however. With a card, they need no deposit since it can place a hold on the funds which is much more security for them then a check. The processing fee is from 1-2.5% or even less if they are doing a lot of volune.

Are you booking a complete tour or just the hotel? Which hotel was booked up, what days, and which one did they substitute? If it is for the end of May or June, quite likely it IS booked up but there are lots of new hotels that have opened recently. Most do not cater to the package tour companies however since the recent additions are 4-5 star. The city really needs some nice vacation style tourist hotels in the 3 star class for $85/night in peak summer season and $40 for winter and spring. If someone built a large place it would be booked full year round with people who want just a clean comfortable place to sleep and not needing 5 high end restaurants under 1 roof or a spa.