We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monterrey
reviews: 2
How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Hello, I was wondering what are my options to get from St. Petersburg to Moscow this summer (July). I'm looking for the cheapest and most convenient way. Thanks in advance.

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
1. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

I would say that going by train probably is the quickest and cheapest option, certainly more convenient than going by air.

To buy tickets, I recommend using the official Russian railways site if you can manage it.

http://ticket.rzd.ru/static/public/selfcare

It requires some patience to work through it if you can't read Russian, but it will save you a lot of money versus buying online through an agent. One of the Moscow Destination Experts, Ebertsj, has put together a marvellous DIY guide to navigating the site, which will take you through the ticket purchase process step-by-step - you can find it here:

…dropbox.com/u/…208-02-2011.pdf

Monterrey
reviews: 2
2. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Wow thank you! It's so much cheaper plus there's overnight options (to save on hotels). Thanks again.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 7
3. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

St. Pete to Moscow is a tight flight competition line also. Check Aeroflot, Transaero, S7 and Utair websites also, while checking trains. Note you can choose an arrival airport in Moscow, as there are of them, quiet apart from each other. Enjoy!

St.Petersburg in...
reviews: 17
4. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Hello,

I don't think there is "tight flight competition" but even if it's so, mind that you have to be at the airport at least 2 hours before the flight (for all those security check ups etc), also add some time for traveling to/from any of the airports in Moscow and SPb (as all of them are not very close to the cities) . After all that math flying between SPb and Moscow doesn't look that cheap and convenient, unfortunately.

Sankt-Peterburg
reviews: 10
5. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Hello!

I would recomended you take a fast train - Sapsan or take a plane.

Plus traveling by train is closeness railroad station in Moscow and St. Peterburg with city centre.

Airports are situated too far from centre.

I said Sapsan because if you take a simple train, you will fell discomfort.

Russian railroad is awful for usual trains!

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 3
6. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

Re: discomfort of Russian trains...I take the overnight trains ever year - back and forth- and if you book a 2-person cabin (a few more $), I find them to be eminently comfortable...the issue being more whether one can generally sleep on trains...

Note also with overnight (am sure I sound like a broken record), you a) save a ton of $ on hotel room, and b) save daylight hours for sightseeing. Admittedly, with Sapsan (Express), you can get some sense of the countryside, but traveling at higher speeds diminishes this a bit...IF you do NOT want to do overnight, then for sure take Sapsan...

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
reviews: 33
7. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

The best time for Sapsan is something like 19.30 and arriving 23.30 - not spending day time and having a possibility to have a normal sleep...

8. Re: How to travel from St. Petersburg to Moscow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, May 31, 2013