We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
Weather in September

We will be in St. Petersburg from September 6 - 12. What can we expect weatherwise during this time of the year? Will we need to take coats? If so, lightweight or heavy? Is it likely to rain during our stay? Thanks for your help!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: Weather in September

September can be anything but normally it is mild and drier than the early summer. Expect mid 60s to mid 70sF, and a little cooler at night due to lower humidity. Anywhere close to a sea or ocean can have highly variable weather on any particular day. Bring some sort of rain gear, it probably will not rain but a thin waterproof shell would be a nice precaution. Whether you feel more comfortable with a coat is highly variable also, so you were a coat in 65F weather? Many people do here and say it is cold but then do not seem to complain when later in the winter it is -25. I never wear a coat unless it is a suit jacket or sport coat in the evening until the temperatures drop to 40 or lower. So whether to bring a heavy coat is a highly individual question.

The heaters in homes and stores operate on hot water generated by central steam plants that will not be fired up until a few days of 32 or less. Most walls are 3 feet thick so it takes a while of cool temperatures to lower the nominal temperatures inside a home.

Austin, Texas
2. Re: Weather in September

Thank you very much. You are right, wearing a coat is highly individual. We live in Texas and it was 96 degrees yesterday. So, 65 likely would feel colder to me than it would to someone from a milder climate. I am really forward to visiting your city!

Ottawa
reviews: 12
3. Re: Weather in September

Hello,

Any idea for temperature in the 3rd week of Oct?

Thank you.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
reviews: 23
4. Re: Weather in September

PSL asked " Any idea for temperature in the 3rd week of Oct?"

Since 2004, the weather patterns have been anything but normal, warmer and no snow but a bit of rain in October. So this year is likely to be unpredictable also. I would take a wild but educated guess that it will be in the 50s and 60s for daytime highs and high 30s to 50 at night. Last year was quite mild through New Years. I took a canal cruise on New Years eve when in past years the canals and rivers would have been frozen by late November. We only had 40 days of winter temperatures last year. August is turning out to be warmer and drier than normal, close to 80 all week and clear blue skies every day this month so far.

Ottawa
reviews: 12
5. Re: Weather in September

Thank you, Stanj, for your reply. We will be arriving on the 19th Oct., and we hope the weather will be nice.

Ireland
6. Re: Weather in September

Hello,

Am thinking of visiting Moscow & St. Petersburg in either late Sep or early Oct. How many daylight hours are there then?

Thanks very much

7. Re: Weather in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 08, 2010