We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg

Which Veliky Novgorod hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Malibu, California
reviews: 5
Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg

We are taking a Baltic Cruise, and we have three days in St. Petersburg. This will be our second cruise to the Baltics and St. Petersburg. We have arranged for the same private guide all three days that we used last time - she's so wonderful that she's become a personal friend and came to visit us in the USA as our house guest for a week!

Our original plan for this cruise was to use the "Moscow option" and spend our second day not in St. Petersburg, but in Moscow. However, the second day is a Thursday - when the Kremlin is closed. The second day is the only day that the long trip to Moscow is possible. But there is no point in going all the way to Moscow without seeing the Kremlin! Major disappointment!

Plan B - Instead of Moscow, our guide suggested that we might want to go to Veliky Novgorod on our second day,Thursday. I haven't found too much about it other than that it's one of the oldest cities in Russia and it has lots of churches. One church is okay, but we're not really interested in visiting lots of them, and if we make the long trek to Novgorod, it has to be for much more than a church. What else is there to see and do in Novgorod? Is it worth the 2.5 - 3 hour drive each way in the car between St. Petersburg and Novgorod? Or are we better off staying in St. Petersburg and seeing again what we did last time? I loved St. Petersburg, so revisiting sights wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. However, if there is somewhere outside of St. Petersburg that is incredible, fabulous, amazing - then, I'd like to go there, too. Does Novgorod fit that description? Alternatively, if it doesn't, can you suggest a place outside of St. Petersburg that does? Preferably a place that is closer to St. Petersburg? Or even a place within St. Petersburg that is off-the-beaten-path that we might not have seen last time we were there?

Thanks for your help!

3 replies to this topic
Rockwall, TX
reviews: 1
1. Re: Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg

Who is your guide? We'd like to hire her, too :)

St. Petersburg...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg

It is a pretty long way and bumpy road to Novgorod The Great if nothing hasnt changed recently, which Im sure hasnt. And yes you are right -it is all about churches and religious heritage, its an ancient Russian city - there are houndreds of churches and monasteries. One of the attraction of Novgorod which is different is The open-air architectural-ethnographic museum "Vitoslavlitsy", which provides a whole complex of genuine folk wooden architecture, including ancient churches of the 16th — 18th centuries, peasant houses of the 19th — early 20th centuries, exhibitions of folk art and everyday life items of Novgorod peasants of the same period. But again if you are not much into OMG another church.

Then Its better to Hermitage again or visit Pushkin ( the Catherine Palace with Amber room) Peterhof - probably seen them already. How about Pavlovsk(The palace and park complex) ? Its is also 1 hour by car trip. Have your guide taken you there ? It is beautiful and so much to see there. the museum collection is very rich and incredible. The Yusupov Palace in St.Petersburg is also one of the must see things and very exclusive, Russian museum. How many sightseeings have you covered your last trip? St.Petersburg still has many things to offer!

St. Petersburg
reviews: 3
3. Re: Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg

Yes, Novgorod is famous first of all thanks churches, cathedrals and monasteries, but these churches are different from St. Petersburg churches. First of all they are much older. Novgorod was a very important center in the past, for several years it was even our official capital but now it’s a real province with very slow and calm provincial life. Some information about Novgorod and tourists cites their you can find here www.bestguides-spb.com/tour-novgorod.html I love Novgorod and tour to Novgorod could be very interesting. Please notice that guides from St. Petersburg are not allowed to provide tours of Novgorod churches/museums. If you are only two it could work but with a bigger group I’m afraid it could be problems.

Despite my very special feelings about Novgorod (I really love it!) I would suggest you to visit Moscow even on Thursday. Moscow has so much beside of Kremlin which you will see from outside: the Red Square, St Basil Cathedra, the unique metro!, Arbat street, Tretyakov gallery, Novodevichy monastery and so on…

Reply to: Novgorod for Day Trip From Cruise Ship in St. Petersburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted